Capitol Reef NP, Utah: Part 3

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Thunder Thigh 3

Capitol Reef NP, Utah: Part 3

Post by Thunder Thigh 3 » March 30th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Here is the 3rd and final part of our trip to Capitol Reef National Park.
Picking up on day 4 where I left off...
Cottonwood Wash ended at a non-navigable "pour off" (one of the new canyoneering terms I learned) where we gazed at the beautiful sunlit tree that was just out of our reach.
IMG_0501_1.JPG
The return trip was a bit quicker to navigate, and the lighting was lovely.
IMG_0506_1.JPG
IMG_0516_1.JPG
IMG_0510_1.JPG
IMG_0504_1_1.JPG
At the trails end, my hands and wrists were sore and tired from all the scrambling and maneuvering. By the next day, I was hurting in muscles that I didn't know existed, but it was completely worth it! It took us a long time to go the 4 or so miles in and out, but I would totally recommend this route to anybody who is comfortable with some scrambling and bouldering that is a step below requiring ropes and more technical gear and skills.

Our 5th and final day in the park we did a loop hike that included some higher points in the park with views. Our loop started at Grand Wash, continued up towards Cassidy Arch (a repeat from our first day), through Frying Pan, and back down Cohab Canyon - approximately 6 or so miles, not including a couple viewpoint side trips. It also requires a shuttle car, hitchhiking, or a 2 mile return walk or bike ride along the road to return to your vehicle. We brought bikes and dropped them off at the hike's end point.

Starting out in Grand Wash in the morning was pretty nice. Grand Wash apparently used to be the road through the park, but now it is a pretty popular hike - it's very stunning to be walking through these huge walls of rock. My mom, who has been to Petra, said it was very similar, just with natural pillars instead of human-carved ones.
IMG_0547_1.JPG
We left the wash and climbed the trail towards Cassidy Arch.
IMG_0548_1.JPG
There is a nice view from the arch:
IMG_0209_1.JPG
And it's fun to walk across, too!
IMG_0211_1.JPG
From there, the trail goes into the Frying Pan, which is like a rock garden with awesome views.
IMG_0551_1.JPG
The trail drops back down into a wash - irresistible to us even after all our previous wash hikes - with impressive views looking back up at the surrounding cliffs and rock formations.
IMG_0570_1.JPG
From there, the trail ascends to another plateau where views of the park abound. From there, a couple side trails take the willing hiker to more viewpoints that put the Navajo Nobs front and center. Well worth the detour!
IMG_0586_1.JPG
frying pan nobs view pan 3_1_1.jpg
IMG_0593_1.JPG
IMG_0594_1.JPG
We finished our hike and managed to get back to the house before dark. We cleaned everything up and had a lovely dinner before an early night and early morning for the drive home. It was an incredible trip, and such an adventure! Capitol Reef is one of the less visited parks in the US, I think because it is less developed and has fewer amenities, but I think that makes it all the more appealing. It is now one of my favorite places in the US, and I hope I get to go back some day and explore all the places I didn't go! One week was not long enough to satiate my curiosity or the explorer within!

Thanks for reading this incredibly long three-part post! I hope you enjoyed it!

Splintercat

Re: Capitol Reef NP, Utah: Part 3

Post by Splintercat » March 30th, 2013, 4:36 pm

Wow - that last set is stunning! Thanks for posting this series!

Tom :)

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » March 30th, 2013, 5:48 pm

AWESOME!! My sister and I are headed for the Canyonlands and Arches area in a few weeks where the scenery is similar to Capitol Reef. This just makes me more excited than ever!

Did you do the drive in one day or two? It's a bit of a haul from Portland to southern Utah.

Limey

Post by Limey » March 31st, 2013, 9:07 am

Fantastic series of photos. I lived in moab from 1978 to 1981 and some of the sunset pics I took looked like lava flowing down the canyon walls, amazing. Incredible geologic features down there.

Hey Cheryl, when you're down there be sure to go to Deadhorse Point. 2,000 ft down to the Colorado.We went there one day and before I could leash him, our huge Lab took off and jumped over the barrier wall. Almost instantly he was back. We looked over the edge and a few feet down there was some protruding rock that he apparently landed on. Two feet either side he would have been gone. Heart stopping moment. Lesson learned, always leash before getting out of truck.

Enjoy your trip,
Marilyn

payslee

Post by payslee » April 1st, 2013, 8:33 am

Thanks for posting these! All your pics are wonderful but the very last one is my favorite. Great composition and it looks like a beautiful place to spend a nice chunk of time.

-payslee

GoneHiking

Post by GoneHiking » April 2nd, 2013, 5:29 pm

Thanks for posting this report and the excellent photos. My wife and I were at Capitol Reef NP on March 26/27. It was one of the high points of a 3,000 mile road trip that included Death Valley (also awesome), Zion, and Bryce National Parks. I'm in total agreement with you in that Capitol Reef has made it high on my list of favorite places. We are definitely planning on going back. I also want to get back and explore the area between Escalante and Boulder, a fantasy-land of Navajo Sandstone (part of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument).

All I can say is GO THERE - you won't be disappointed.