Wilson River Traverse 1/26-1/27

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Loopy

Wilson River Traverse 1/26-1/27

Post by Loopy » February 20th, 2013, 8:03 pm

I spent the last weekend in January solo hiking the Wilson River trail, splitting it up into two days. It was a fun trip, but a soggy one.

10.9 mi to Jones Creek where I will set up camp.

Fog in the valley

The bridge is still out but there is an easy log crossing just up stream

Crazy little marsh water feature

I really like this tree

Airing out the socks and keeping dry

My tuna can stove

Day 2 back on the trail

Wison River Falls

The grassy trail leading down to Keenig Creek TH

Sean Thomas

Re: Wilson River Traverse 1/26-1/27

Post by Sean Thomas » February 21st, 2013, 6:13 am

Awesome going, Loopy. I am surprised at the water feature in the wet meadow near the small bridge. That area can hold a foot or two of water easy and im not sure how long that "feature" will last.

I have never backpacked the Wilson but it sounds like a good idea for future trips, thanks for posting :)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » February 21st, 2013, 6:23 am

W-R-T! :) I've often thought about backpacking that trail as I'm ambling along it on a day hike. Nice report and pictures. Did you work out a shuttle to get back to the Elk Creek trailhead, or did you hike back?
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 21st, 2013, 6:40 am

I just gotta get down there! Loved the report. And the photos... What kind of lens is that? Some sort of super-wide? They call me to the trail.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Loopy

Post by Loopy » February 21st, 2013, 9:59 am

Crusak wrote:W-R-T! :) I've often thought about backpacking that trail as I'm ambling along it on a day hike. Nice report and pictures. Did you work out a shuttle to get back to the Elk Creek trailhead, or did you hike back?
My mom is recently retired and is very supportive of my hiking and climbing...More so the hiking haha. Anytime I need a shuttle she is willing to be there. She picked me up at Keenig. Unfortunately there is no service on the trail and I finished two hours ahead of schedule. It was a very cold wait and ended up taking shelter in one of the restrooms with the door proped open.

I suggest doing the backpack, although there was a lot of idle time at camp given the amount of of milage each day. Bring some extra food and a good read to pass the time. My knee is having issues but maybe in a week or two I want to do the same hike but summit Elk and Kings on day one. I feel like it would justify backpacking it a little more.

Let me know if anyone would be interested in that hike.

kepPNW wrote:I just gotta get down there! Loved the report. And the photos... What kind of lens is that? Some sort of super-wide? They call me to the trail.
I actually just bring a GoPro Hero3 in its waterproof housing. I can just keep it in my hip pocket, it weighs next to nothing and I dont have to worry about it getting wet or breaking it. That thing is bulletproof. Its not great in low light or anything real far out, but for the size, weight, and durability it cant be beat.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 21st, 2013, 11:37 am

kepPNW wrote:I actually just bring a GoPro Hero3 in its waterproof housing. I can just keep it in my hip pocket, it weighs next to nothing and I dont have to worry about it getting wet or breaking it. That thing is bulletproof. Its not great in low light or anything real far out, but for the size, weight, and durability it cant be beat.
Ahh, cool. I've been seeing critters like that on sale a lot lately, and thinking that may be one of my near-term "impulse" snags... :)
Karl

Loopy

Post by Loopy » February 21st, 2013, 1:24 pm

If you are looking to save space and weight they are the way to go. There are a few downsides. They dont have a viewfinder so you gotta just point and shoot and cross your fingers. Also there is no display to see if you caught what you are after. I usually just snap three shots of whatever it is and hope for the best. Im not much of a photographer, just like to document and share my adventures. Also the video on those things are great. Once summer hits that thing is permanently mounted on my climbing helmet.

here is some footage from christmas eve and christmas day so you can see the quality.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200307314752593

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 21st, 2013, 2:26 pm

Right on. I've definitely enjoyed seeing stuff folks put together with them. Would probably still have a "normal" camera along, too. I think I'd like to play with both some "time-lapse" stuff (sky, in particular) and just along the trail. Who knows? Seems like lots of cool uses. :)
Karl

Crusak

Post by Crusak » February 21st, 2013, 7:49 pm

Loopy wrote:
Crusak wrote:W-R-T! :) I've often thought about backpacking that trail as I'm ambling along it on a day hike. Nice report and pictures. Did you work out a shuttle to get back to the Elk Creek trailhead, or did you hike back?
My mom is recently retired and is very supportive of my hiking and climbing...More so the hiking haha. Anytime I need a shuttle she is willing to be there. She picked me up at Keenig. Unfortunately there is no service on the trail and I finished two hours ahead of schedule. It was a very cold wait and ended up taking shelter in one of the restrooms with the door proped open.

I suggest doing the backpack, although there was a lot of idle time at camp given the amount of of milage each day. Bring some extra food and a good read to pass the time. My knee is having issues but maybe in a week or two I want to do the same hike but summit Elk and Kings on day one. I feel like it would justify backpacking it a little more.
That's awesome that your mom is willing to do that. 8-)

A group of us from Portland Hikers did the WRT from Elk Creek to Keenig back in October, as a day hike. I really enjoy hiking the WRT and I get out there at least a once a month to hike a portion of it.

I feel your pain when you described waiting for your ride. In years past my wife used to be willing to be the shuttle person, dropping us off at one end and picking us up at the other end a few days later. We had plenty of hot, dry, long waits or cold, wet, rainy waits for her to show up. Still, a shuttle allows you to cover longer distances and you don't risk damage or theft from your vehicle.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » February 23rd, 2013, 3:07 am

Awesome TR Loopy. I love your sense of adventure. This is my favorite trail. Thanks for joining the website and look forward to more of your TR's. Maybe a few of us could get a Wilson River backpack together. I like to hike about 10 miles a day so I can explore, dink around or lollidog but Sean, EP, Mayhem, Crusak, and Mr. LeDioux can easily rip out the full trail mileage in one day, if you want. Nice pics! Some of them brought back a warm memory hiking with the Loonies.