Lyle Cherry Orchard Exploration: 2/9/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Re: Lyle Cherry Orchard Exploration: 2/9/13

Post by bobcat » February 11th, 2013, 8:14 am

Enjoyed reading your explorations! Supposedly there's a trail connection from Lyle High School although I have not done it. The Doug's Beach connection I have also dreamed about, but so far not attempted it. I'd like to know who owns that piece of property just west of Doug's Beach - Is it the Friends or someone else?

Ticks are particularly virulent in the Gorge beginning in January until late March or so. That even goes for the West Gorge in Washington - try bushwhacking around Archer Mountain and places like that and coming home unscathed. Swale Canyon/Klickitat River are other places where they are literally crawling everywhere.

I'd go for the oak apple. As far as I can tell, the marble gall, very common in Europe, is not found on Oregon white oak.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 11th, 2013, 10:15 am

Beautiful photos, Brad! I want to go there now... Not sure I can offer a higher compliment on a TR. :)

That looks like an outstanding loop. Any guesses what the total mileage you put in might've been?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » February 11th, 2013, 2:41 pm

It seems like many of the comments are tick related, and rightly so. I just didn’t think there would be that many this early in the year. I’ll never bring my dogs there again unless the area is covered in snow.

I hope this TR helps others who like to do the same kind of “where does that trail go?” kind of exploring.
-----------------------------------------
Eric, I may request some help working with GPS tracks. I have figured out a lot with help from this topic created by Koda:
http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =15&t=5999

I figured out how to download tracks from my GPS, so the next thing is to upload a track to it, like your Gorge mapset. Also, working with tracks is tops on the list.
----------------------------------------
Bobcat, thanks for the info about the possible trail connection by the school.

I also want to know who owns the property that was on the other side of the fence. I think it is DNR, but that’s just a hunch. I have no problem going on DNR land with “keep out” signs, but do not want to trespass on private property. Chris and I want to start down at highway 14 level near Doug’s Beach State Park and go up into the hills, so ownership knowledge is important.

I think I’ll go with oak apple too. I think very few people would know the difference anyway.
-----------------------------------------
Karl, thanks for the compliment on the TR. I try my best to share my experiences as a way of paying back others for doing the same.

Regarding mileage, I think it was a little over 10. I reset the trip computer at the orchard, which is around 2.5 miles. The trip computer was something like 7.6 when I got back to the car. EG was probably around 2000’.
----------------------------------------
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

jberry

Post by jberry » April 13th, 2018, 9:00 am

I know this is an old report. But since many of the comments and questions concern property lines, I thought I'd post this link to the Klickitat Country site that shows parcels and ownership. You can click on any parcel to see the ownership information.

Here's the link: Klickitat Country Parcel Information

shaneorlov

Post by shaneorlov » July 11th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Thanks for sharing, informative thread for me.