Palmer Mill - Devils Rest Loop - 01/27/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BrianEdwards

Re: Palmer Mill - Devils Rest Loop - 01/27/13

Post by BrianEdwards » January 27th, 2013, 9:53 pm

On long links, it works to disable automatic parsing of URL's.

Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

pablo

Post by pablo » January 27th, 2013, 10:14 pm

In Van Marmots thread Pablo wrote about somebody blocking the creek with rocks forcing the water to run down the road instead. Pablo mentions removing the rocks to fix the problem but somebody for some reason had dammed it up again!
Guy, nice report and photos - really irritating about that creek crossing - wish I could meet up with the person responsible and ask why - I see no rational reason except, as alluded by Tom, simply vandalism. I volunteer myself and anybody else to try and keep it un-dammed.

Looks like you bypassed the concrete barrier across Palmer Mill to continue up Brower and went through the gate off Brower Rd to get back on Palmer Mill. If you go by the concrete barrier there is a use path that takes off to the left immediately from the barrier to go east to connect with a well used trail that connects to the rd that you traveled up from Palmer Mill. That well used path itself takes off from Palmer Mill Rd just after the short segment up from Brower Rd connects to Palmer Mill Rd.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » January 27th, 2013, 10:25 pm

Ummm thread drift but here's the original road plats for Bower Road

http://gis.co.multnomah.or.us/sail/displayimagemulti.cfm?Image=\\nas3\dcs\survimg\Roads\RD0000-0999\RD0458-MAP.tif
http://gis.co.multnomah.or.us/sail/displayimagemulti.cfm?Image=\\nas3\dcs\survimg\Roads\RD0000-0999\RD0493-MAP.tif
http://gis.co.multnomah.or.us/sail/displayimagemulti.cfm?Image=\\nas3\dcs\survimg\Roads\RD0000-0999\RD0513-MAP.tif
http://gis.co.multnomah.or.us/sail/displayimagemulti.cfm?Image=\\nas3\dcs\survimg\Roads\RD0000-0999\RD0548-MAP.tif
http://gis.co.multnomah.or.us/sail/displayimagemulti.cfm?Image=\\nas3\dcs\survimg\Roads\RD1000-1999\RD1293-MAP.tif
http://gis.co.multnomah.or.us/sail/displayimagemulti.cfm?Image=\\nas3\dcs\survimg\Roads\RD4000-4999\RD4999-MAP.tif

@ Brian...thanks
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

Guy

Post by Guy » January 28th, 2013, 5:59 am

pablo wrote:Looks like you bypassed the concrete barrier across Palmer Mill to continue up Brower and went through the gate off Brower Rd to get back on Palmer Mill. If you go by the concrete barrier there is a use path that takes off to the left immediately from the barrier to go east to connect with a well used trail that connects to the rd that you traveled up from Palmer Mill. That well used path itself takes off from Palmer Mill Rd just after the short segment up from Brower Rd connects to Palmer Mill Rd.

--Paul
Yeah that's exactly what we did Paul as we walked down to the bridge over Bridal Veil first. I thought we must have missed a trail that cut off the big switchback because we saw the top end of it where it joins the upper road.

We opened up the dam too, it will be interesting to see how long before it's put back - very strange!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » January 28th, 2013, 6:54 am

Great exploring and finding for sure. All this leads to a much needed idea of getting the USFS to put in a loop trail to Angels Rest. Right now, the main trail is so heavily used (which is a good thing) but not always the easiest for small kids and families and by setting up a loop trail using the Palmer Mill Road and some of the old roads and trails, you could easily (a) lessen some of the pressure of use on the Angels Rest trail by giving a loop option; (b) provide a loop option which a lot of hikers enjoy more; (c) give people a new approach to Devil's Rest since this trailhead area is the closest to Portland and the easiest to access; (d) provide a way on the backside of the loop to allow families and smaller kids to take a stroll in the forest - maybe even put up some historical signage, etc.
What is definitely needed are some more easy access trails close-in to Portland to help get people out and exercising and enjoying it all and this area is prime for the USFS and TKO taking a real plunge in making something like this happen.
Let's see if we can get some response from the Forest Service other than talking about limited budgets.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 28th, 2013, 7:07 am

Eric Peterson wrote:I did manage to get DN's tpo file georeferenced in pretty close but can send to the real master GEOtagging fellow, KEP to see how close he gets it! :)
Huh, wha...? ;)
Eric Peterson wrote:Weird links Jeff, couldn't open either using FireFox...
Browsers don't normally support TIF files without a Java plugin. If you followed the Homeland Security directive (everyone did, right? :lol:), and disabled Java, no go. Or, just re-enable it.

Better answer, get it displayed as an actual link somehow (quickie html page?), then right-click the link and Save As, so your browser's handlers don't get involved.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Guy

Post by Guy » January 28th, 2013, 9:04 pm

What is definitely needed are some more easy access trails close-in to Portland to help get people out and exercising and enjoying it all and this area is prime for the USFS and TKO taking a real plunge in making something like this happen.
Let's see if we can get some response from the Forest Service other than talking about limited budgets
Agreed Ted, you could open up a lot of miles of trail in this area just by using the old logging roads & railroad grades. It could probably all be done for a fraction of what they spent on one of those Cape Horn underpasses. ;)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » January 29th, 2013, 9:01 am

I know that the FS burned down the remaining Palmer buildings in 1944 because they were a fire hazard. But is there anything left to see at the Palmer mill/town site or is it all long gone?

Lurch

Post by Lurch » January 29th, 2013, 11:15 am

Peabody wrote:These links take you to the Multnomah County Survey and Assessor Image Locator (SAIL) site more info here
I love reading through the old corner reports.... And it still amuses me that the surveyors had a penchant for burying whiskey bottles under their monuments.. Maybe that's why thing's aren't all that square sometimes ;)

JimWaigand

Post by JimWaigand » February 21st, 2013, 10:59 am

Hey all. I've been exploring the Palmer/Bridal Veil, RR grades, logging sites, all that, extensively the last year or so. Doing lots of research: books, maps, photos, hiking on- and off-trail, photographing artifacts.

I'd love to go with anyone up there sometime to explore more. I've chatted a little with Don, the resident expert on this area's history. But I've only ever explored up there on my own and would love some company.

Thanks for the maps and overlays. I work with only paper maps but am thinking about getting GPS.

Cheers,
Jim