Someone tried to steal my car at Shellrock Mtn today:( 1/26

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
xrp

Re: Someone tried to steal my car at Shellrock Mtn today:(

Post by xrp » January 31st, 2013, 6:47 pm

Koda wrote:
Crusak wrote:Gets a little fuzzy if you decide to just 'point the gun at the suspects' who are breaking into cars,and you might get in some trouble still.
Actually you will probably get arrested. Unless you are in jeopardy of life or limb you cannot use deadly force to detain someone or protect property outside of your home.
Someone using a tool of any kind to bust windows would be enough to put me in fear of my life.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » January 31st, 2013, 7:16 pm

Side note, topic drift - - - xrp, what movie is that gif from?

xrp

Post by xrp » January 31st, 2013, 7:20 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:Side note, topic drift - - - xrp, what movie is that gif from?
Collateral, starring Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xrp

Post by xrp » January 31st, 2013, 7:28 pm

mcds wrote:ouch Sean. Glad to see you are back on the road.

Starvation Creek TH yesterday afternoon:

I thought weapons were not allowed in national forests:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 191128.pdf
Naw

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/program ... come.shtml

Koda

Post by Koda » January 31st, 2013, 7:50 pm

Side note-note... Just want to say that I don't think its appropriate to encourage a few well placed shots or shooting anyone including criminals, that's not the purpose of self defense or owning a gun and encouraging homicide as a solution to car clouting just leaves a bad image for law abiding citizens. If they attack you that's one thing but just breaking into cars is not putting you in jeopardy of life. XRP, the only people you will need to convince you were in fear for your life is a jury of your peers. Good luck

side side side note:

XRP is correct, there are no laws restricting carrying weapons in a national forest, but there might be a few state laws in some places. I'd like to see the federal level statute that was not listed in that PDF link.

on topic:
Waffle Stomper wrote: Regardless, that is horrible that it happened. Something needs to be done about all the break ins but I don't know what.
the only solution that can be done is to find ways to get car clouters prosecuted. It may not totally solve the problem, but would give much needed vindication to the victims and hopefully prove that car clouting is not a viable option for raising meth money or whatever. Unfortunately, there are not many solutions. I like the idea of a car security system with hidden cameras that uploads pictures or video once within cell range but those are super expensive. Citizen watches are another idea but I don't think totally effective... IDK, and like I said... taking photos of crime in action would work too but I would advise to be prepared to defend yourself or just stay hidden or use a zoom...
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 31st, 2013, 10:04 pm

If the breakins are drug users, stealing stuff to trade for drugs, then sell them drugs at government drug stores and don't take stolen goods

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 31st, 2013, 10:44 pm

retired jerry wrote:If the breakins are drug users, stealing stuff to trade for drugs, then sell them drugs at government drug stores and don't take stolen goods
Bing! "When drugs are outlawed, only outlaws will have drugs...!"

WA took a first step towards fixing that. Dumbest war yet... <mumble>
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » February 1st, 2013, 12:55 am

No worries on the drift. I like hearing everyone's take on situations like these, on topic or not :)

I agree with Koda but also think the volunteer program could be really effective if their were enough members. The patrol group is only composed of 35 members but volunteers are required to go out in groups of atleast two to help avoid altercations like Koda was talking about. In the message I got from dep. Graziano he said originally he wanted to allow people to watch the lots on their own but his boss wouldn't allow it. Not saying it's a total safegaurd or anything to have someone else with you ofcourse, but their is power in numbers.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » February 1st, 2013, 1:06 am

With that :D I envision Mayhem and Mcds circling the wagons at starvation with Ep, Crus and Lurch manning the fort over at Wyeth. Waffle and Chase over on the shellrock spur to ward off those bobcat trappers and me and Jack/ Spitifire and co at Herman Creek. Splinter takes Eagle Creek with Don while Bosterson and Bishop keep things under their wing at Tooth Rock/Wahclella. Peder and Guy can concentrate on John Yeon with Joe runner and Koda rubbernecking back and forth around the different ainsworth pullouts. Cascade and Cornelius could take Horsetail with Potato, Pdxflowergirl and Jesse spotlighting multnomah falls. Beag and Wind Mtn Pete can watch Dog on the Wash side, with T-roy and Trailape camped out at Hamilton(discovery fee will still apply, sorry guys). B2b and Ryan Ojero can snatch up the worst TH around the Table area with Jane and Retired Jerry holding it down at Cape Horn. Kepnw and Bobcat can spy on Latourell with Drm and Mileagemike at Bridal Veil. Weather Crazy and Pablo can watch Wahkeena with arundodnax switching off between wahkeena and benson lake. Last and most dangerous - Wildman, Jessbee, Brian Edwards, Mandrake, Rusty Goat, Van Marmot, Jdemott, Granny and Hysson, Double Tree, Dustin, Jay Hawk, TJ T, Erock, Raven, Peachy, Payslee, Shaw jr, Cfm Airoff, Turboherb, Cfm, Forester, Ghosting, Aardvark, Romann, Xrp, Hlee and the whole of Portland Hikers will take the reigns in the belly of the beast, Angels Rest! :o I hope everyone likes the roles ive picked out for them :D I want to see tables and chairs people! tables and chairs out there!! The only problem is, whose left to actually hike on the trails then :?: :? ok enough is enough :oops:

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » February 1st, 2013, 6:53 am

I want to team up with Adrian and Muttley, they have good refreshments!

But honored to be paired up with MCDS and Mayhem :)