Someone tried to steal my car at Shellrock Mtn today:( 1/26

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Someone tried to steal my car at Shellrock Mtn today:( 1/26

Post by Sean Thomas » January 26th, 2013, 5:52 pm

The title is pretty self explanatory :cry: I went for a hike on shellrock mountain in the gorge to visit the historic wagon road from the 1870s today. While i was on the old road above the freeway I saw someone trying to steal my car. I was several hundred yards up slope and couldnt get down to the car fast enough. By the time I did it was almost too late. They shattered the passenger window with a large rock and proceeded to rip my car to shreds. The worst part was that they didnt want anything from the car but the car itself. I was stupid enough to leave my snowsheos in there and a couple of books etc but they didnt take those, just threw them all over the road/ around my car. The worst part being they tried to steal the car unsuccessfully and in doing so ripped the wires out from under the steering leaving the car unable to start. Also out of frustartion it looks like, they bashed the handles and ripped off my window cranks. When the tow truck guy pulled up he asked me if I tried to shoot them and where was my sidearm lol. He said he sees this a lot in the gorge and especially with old/little hondas like mine because they are easy to steal and piece out for cash, or just paint over and put fake plates on. He also said he sees a bunch of cars get not only get burglarized but stolen from Eagle Creek/toothrock area to starvation creek, reason being I guess is that there is a gravel pullout/old road near wyeth(whish lies right in between the two) where theyre known to strip em down and piece them out. In hindsight, I know im lucky to have never had this happen before with as many times ive parked to go hiking in the gorge.

While pouting and waiting for the tow guy I started reading the intro to my dads old copy of Hiking the Columbia River Gorge by Russ Schneider. Here I realized I will never quit hiking. The truth is they could take my car, my cloths and all of my possessions but they cant take away my love for the trail. If I have to hike TO the trail just to hike on the trail i will take that over no trail anyday:)

I will upload some pics from the day a little later as I got some really good ones of some sections of the road I hadnt seen before. I also went up summit creek a little ways to the base of the last little mini falls(way below the biggen above)

EDIT: here are a few pics from the day. There are some nice viewpoints up there, many of them laden with Manzanita:

Unfortunately, when I reached the sight of the bobcat trap I had stepped on a few weeks back it was clear it had been reset and this time it worked. The intestines had been discarded nearby :(

The Shellrock Wagon Road was looking prettier than ever:

Further west along the track with Wind Mtn:

Ponderosa Pine growing just above the old roadway:

On the eastern side of things the road erodes away it seems and the trail cliffs out at this old metal wire:

Before I headed up to the wagon road I hiked west along the shoulder of 84 and popped up to the old highway. There are still some nice remnants of the near 100 year old road, sandwiched inbetween 84 and the old wagon rd many meters above:

A mood too many hikers have felt before:

The damage:

Last edited by Sean Thomas on January 27th, 2013, 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eric Peterson

Re: Someone tried to steal my car at Shellrock Mtn today:(

Post by Eric Peterson » January 26th, 2013, 6:06 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Sucks man! Did you get close to them or just let them have their way, sounds dangerous to confront some crack heads . . .

ghosting

Post by ghosting » January 26th, 2013, 6:13 pm

That is some serious nonsense. So sorry man. Chances are, fate, overdose or incarceration will most likely catch up with these individuals. I have thought about this and wonder what the cost would be for cameras and notices? Would this actually work? Some of my favorite places often lack the people around to make me comfortable in leaving my vehicle. I still do anyway.

I agree with your affirmation completely. All of us will disappear at some point and, for myself, that is the reason to venture into places like the gorge (which over time will change); often I go out there to remind myself of how everything is constantly changing, especially us; it's comforting to be around elements that are so much older.

hlee

Post by hlee » January 26th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Wow, really sorry that happened to you! Stressful mess. :(

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

arundodonax

Post by arundodonax » January 26th, 2013, 7:08 pm

That's horrible.

In retrospect, it's probably good you didn't get down to him in time—who knows how dangerous he could have been.
Last edited by arundodonax on January 26th, 2013, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » January 26th, 2013, 7:23 pm

Sean - Sorry to hear they trashed your car. :evil: Stories like these are a main reason we don't frequent the Gorge very often. I've often wondered what I would do if I suddenly heard my car alarm go off while still on the trail, and I think the right thing is not to confront them and risk any physical harm. Just today my wife and I talked about getting an old and dented vehicle and just leaving the door open, but we dismissed this option as we need to know the vehicle won't break down to/from a hike, so we'll take our chances. :? I'm glad to hear you're okay, as that's the most important thing! It's also good to hear that this single event hasn't discouraged you from hiking, and instead fortified your conviction to do what you love! :D

Mike
Last edited by mileagemike25000 on January 26th, 2013, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 26th, 2013, 7:26 pm

Bummer!

That's awful, Sean!

airoff

Post by airoff » January 26th, 2013, 7:47 pm

I can't express in words how angry this makes me. And right off the shoulder of I-84!? I'm really sorry man, that's infuriatingly rough. But I sure admire your resolve-hike on brother!

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » January 26th, 2013, 7:59 pm

Thanks for your input and replies everyone. I knew I could find a helping and supportive hand here on PH :)

It was difficult to tell how many or who, I really didnt get a good look at the scene until they started ripping back onto I-84 and I could see and hear there small red car pulling away. I remember looking down through the trees and going, gosh my car looks really long from up here :roll: but it was just there car parked directly in front of mine, when I noticed I thought wtf and then it took me a little while to get back down so they were long gone and unable to cause any harm. I didnt even get to yell a, "you %##@#$%U&&*&^*## bastards!!!

Hahaha mileage, the car is my age(1989) and a "beater by many standards" but it has never failed me! Its all ive got/can afford and it's cheap to drive too :)

Koda

Post by Koda » January 26th, 2013, 8:01 pm

Worst break in ever, they destroyed your car. Sorry to hear Sean.

Will you be able to repair your car?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2