Minto Brown Island Park - Cabin Fever Hike 1/19/2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
CampinCarl

Minto Brown Island Park - Cabin Fever Hike 1/19/2013

Post by CampinCarl » January 21st, 2013, 4:42 pm

Map
Minto_Brown.jpg
Headed out on Saturday in the nearly freezing fog to a local Salem haunt for a hike to get rid of some cabin fever.

6.2 miles along the river, winding amid the cottonwoods and dormant blackberry bushes. Enjoyed the quiet as the cold kept people away.

No pictures but there were a lot of ducks in the slough and a great blue heron on vigilant alert as I ended the hike.

So, knocked off a January hike even though it was in town. Thought others might like to check it out if they are ever in Salem.

bobcat

Re: Minto Brown Island Park - Cabin Fever Hike 1/19/2013

Post by bobcat » January 21st, 2013, 5:21 pm

The only time I've been there was in conditions similar to the current - all the still water frozen and hoar frost everywhere. I think you can make almost 10 miles there in a bigger loop, so it's a nice jogging/hiking loop for people living in the capital.

CampinCarl

Re: Minto Brown Island Park - Cabin Fever Hike 1/19/2013

Post by CampinCarl » January 22nd, 2013, 7:44 am

Yeah, it was kind of eerie with all of the gray fog and frozen tips on tree branches. I actually saw your report on Willamette Mission and thought, why not write up a little report for this gem in town?

One last caveat: For anyone who reads this, I would avoid the south part of the loop trail at the Eola Bend County park as it traverses just to the north of an active landfill :? I hadn't been on this trail extension before, which is the loop located the furthest northwest on the map. The trail is nice along the river, however.