Devil's Backbone (ROA) 1/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ghosting

Devil's Backbone (ROA) 1/13

Post by ghosting » January 13th, 2013, 6:00 pm

Hey,

This is my first trip report after a couple of years of gaining invaluable resources from this site. I am seriously grateful for the sense of history, shared awareness and, general good natured interactions that appear to make up the PH community.

We arrived at the Horsetail Falls Trailhead around 11:00 AM and climbed over the root system onto the Rock of Ages Trail around 11:10; in case it's not obvious, the weather today was gorgeous. The climb up wasn't as slick as I expected; observing the cliffs from below, I figured we would be lucky to make it to the first viewpoint. I'm sure that microspikes would have been useful, however, I am not generally a fan of those things...

We were able to easily reach the first viewpoint and decided to keep going up, hoping to locate the sun; during these last couple weeks I have forgotten how the sun actually feels...
The steep ascent up the cliffside past the first lookout (before the Devil's Backbone) was challenging, but definitely possible (even without traction devices). I remember thinking to myself, "I wonder what this will be like going down..." Hmmm...Yeah....
The Devil's Backbone had moisture rising up from the southern side as the sun illuminated the Horsetail drainage up towards Yeon Mountain. We ate some lunch and used the northern side of the backbone as a windbreak which allowed us the full glory of sun without the icy wind coming of the Columbia. The descent down was quite a challenge and I arrived back at Ponytail Falls with a quick pulse and trembling legs from my continual attempts at disrupting momentum (and gravity) on the steeper sections.

Overall, I would say that the trail was looking really solid. Although possible without traction, your descent would most likely benefit from some kind of device.

- Jason

er0ck

Re: Devil's Backbone (ROA) 1/13

Post by er0ck » January 13th, 2013, 9:12 pm

intense. well done!
that trail is tough on the descent in dry weather in the summer! :shock:
bad knees rules everything around me.

TJ_T

Post by TJ_T » January 14th, 2013, 7:01 am

One of my all time favs because its so close to town, quick, an intense workout, and easy to get away from Disneygorge conditions!
I take pictures sometimes. And sometimes I post them here:
http://www.tjthornephotography.com
and
http://500px.com/TjThorne
and
https://www.facebook.com/tjthornephotography

Peder

Post by Peder » January 14th, 2013, 8:48 am

Welcome Jason and thank you for the trip report! Did you also visit the arch? Otherwise, that is a good reason to go back some day.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

ghosting

Post by ghosting » January 14th, 2013, 10:47 am

Yeah, I have visited the Arch twice in the summer months...It is impressive for sure. Are there any scramble trails that lead up to the area below the arch on the east side? I am sure there has to be something, possibly from before the trail hits the wall near the 400 intersection?

I know this is the classic newbie question, but can someone point me to the instructions for posting pics?

Much appreciated.

- Jason

Peder wrote:Welcome Jason and thank you for the trip report! Did you also visit the arch? Otherwise, that is a good reason to go back some day.

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » January 14th, 2013, 11:05 am

Here is a helpful thread about how to post pictures either by uploading them here or linking from another image hosting site:

How to post pictures

ghosting

Post by ghosting » January 14th, 2013, 4:04 pm

Thanks!

Ponytail Falls

The actual sun as observed from the Devil's Backbone

CampinCarl wrote:Here is a helpful thread about how to post pictures either by uploading them here or linking from another image hosting site:

How to post pictures