Tanner meetup bail and Multnomah/Horsetail Falls: 1/5/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Tanner meetup bail and Multnomah/Horsetail Falls: 1/5/13

Post by Sean Thomas » January 5th, 2013, 10:19 pm

Kind of an ultra fail on my part this morning in an attempt to hit Tanner Butte with some of the Portland Hiker legends. Bosterson, DN, Ebishop, Eric, Jojomachine, Peder and myself met up at the Eagle Creek lot around 6 am and headed off to an icy staircase and the 777 rd. Before long I got a ways behind slipping around on the ice and majorly biffed doing the classic:

Image GIFSoup

On friday, Jojo and I tried to get out to the shellrock wagon rd near wyeth and some of the better known falls to see them covered in some ice. We ended up turning around at Bridal Veil because of bad road conditions and called it a day. With the tff's up ahead going for the butte we decided to turn around and do a little bit of yesterday's plans. Seeing everybody in the early morning and getting to chat for a bit was fun, sorry we didnt offer up any trail breaking guys/gal :(

Back down at the old staircase and nervous about moving the car in the icy lot:

After shellrock we drove back toward town and stopped at Multnomah Falls and Horsetail. At this point it was snowing down to the freeway again and the old hwy was covered in about a 1/2 inch of ice near Ainsworth. Both falls were beautiful and well worth the stops :)

The old hwy going over Multnomah Creek:

The view from the Benson Bridge was amazing:

The icy cliffs hold a special charm this time of year:

A nice couple was kind enough to offer to take a picture for us:

Over at Horsetail things were equally beautiful:

The icicles around the splash pool were awesome too!

As for the shellrock wagon road it was number 2 fail on my part. When we pulled off I-84 east of the wyeth exit to reach the old spur trail to shellrock mtn there was already a truck pulled over in the spot. We sat for a bit and a man came out of the woods and informed us that he was a licensed hunter that had been hired to trap bobcats. I guess there is a spike in the area's population and he also said there were a lot of mountain lions roaming around as well. He spoke to us was to warn us of the traps he had set so we wouldnt stumble over or disturb them and warned that we wouldnt see them. He said they wouldnt cause us any harm but was also curious if we were activists as he said people sabotage his traps on a regalar basis. Just a hundred yards or so after hopping the gaurd rail I saw one of the traps. Joie and I were careful to stay clear of it on the way in but I pulled a bozo move on the way out and totally forgot it was there. Stepped right on it like an idiot and can now not so proudly claim that I am dumb enough to get "trapped" by the state :oops:

Here is the chain and a picture after I triggered it.

There was a lot of evidence of the aforementioned cat on up on the old 1840's portage road near the base of shellrock:

Find Jojo on the old shellrock spur trail:

pablo

Re: Tanner meetup bail and Multnomah/Horsetail Falls: 1/5/13

Post by pablo » January 5th, 2013, 10:36 pm

Sean,

Neat report and photos. Interesting about the bobcat hunter, I'm surprised they are considered a problem.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Guy

Post by Guy » January 6th, 2013, 6:56 am

Great report Sean, I haven't checked out that portage road on Shellrock, I'll have to put in on my 2013 list..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Peder

Post by Peder » January 6th, 2013, 11:04 am

Sean and Joie - Great seeing you yesterday morning. I thought you would divert toward Wauna Point or something like that.
Great pictures of the Wagon Road (I keep failing to explore it for various reasons) and the famous falls; not to mention the FALL in your clip!
I am surprised at they wish to trap bobcats (and I can think of at least one on this site who will not be pleased with that!) and even more surprised that you let yourself be trapped! :shock:
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » January 6th, 2013, 11:43 am

So the ThumTrap worked! Maybe that will slow your miles down for '13!! Muhahahhahhahah

The anti loon trap!

jk :lol:

We should all try to schedule a Shellrock Wagon RD/ Falls hike and maybe mix in those
nearby power line ladders? Haven't done any of that stuff yet either. Scrambling
Shellrock MT. is a possibility too.

Sean, those pictures are awesome again! Using the big DSLR for some of those shots?

jojomachine

Post by jojomachine » January 6th, 2013, 3:16 pm

Peder wrote:Sean and Joie - Great seeing you yesterday morning. I thought you would divert toward Wauna Point or something like that.
Great pictures of the Wagon Road (I keep failing to explore it for various reasons) and the famous falls; not to mention the FALL in your clip!
I am surprised at they wish to trap bobcats (and I can think of at least one on this site who will not be pleased with that!) and even more surprised that you let yourself be trapped! :shock:
It was nice seeing you as well Peder! and ofcourse the rest of the gang. :D
Eric Peterson wrote: Sean, those pictures are awesome again! Using the big DSLR for some of those shots?
Hey EP, still Iphone 5. :)
Ang pagkakataon sa buhay ay madalang dumating, Kapag narito na, ating samantalahin. [tagalog proverbs]

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » January 6th, 2013, 3:40 pm

I wish I could have been there, but then again, maybe I'm glad I missed the drive. I don't like driving on snow or ice.

I love all the pictures of the snow, ice and frost.

I'm ready to try this, or another similar trip, on this coming Saturday. I have a couple of people already interested in helping to break the trail.

Hike on!
Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Chase

Post by Chase » January 6th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Great TR, but I'm not a fan of any bobcat traps! :( :( :(

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » January 6th, 2013, 3:52 pm

Good thing nobody stepped on the trap while it was open. Nice pictures of the ice & frost
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 6th, 2013, 7:45 pm

Not a fan of leg hold traps, to say the least... but they're still legal in Oregon under regulation. The state issued this press release recently -- I hope the traps you saw were in accordance with the regulations, Sean:
Keep pets safe this trapping season

November 30, 2012

SALEM, Ore.— Trapping seasons are getting underway and this year, there are some new regulations meant to protect pets.

Beginning this season, traps and snares on state and federal lands may not be set within 50 feet of any public trail or within 300 feet of any trailhead, public campground or picnic area. Also, killing trap with a jaw spread between 7.5 and 9 inches set on public land cannot be placed more than 50 feet from a permanent or seasonal water source.

The Fish and Wildlife Commission adopted these rules because dogs running loose have accidentally been captured in legally set traps, causing injury or even death to the dog.

Oregon Trappers Association (OTA) supports the restrictions. “Just about every trapper I know has a dog and the last thing we want to see is a beloved family pet caught in a trap,” said Doug Nichol, president, OTA. “OTA will continue to work with our members to make sure traps are set in ways that minimize the risk of capturing pets and any species we are not targeting.”

Dog-owners share in the responsibility to keep their pets safe during trapping seasons. Consider taking the following steps to help keep your pet safe:

• Keep your dog on a leash.
• Or, keep your dog in sight and under voice command—don’t let it wander off, especially out of sight.
• Remember lures and baits used by trappers can attract dogs too (another reason to keep your dog under your control).
• Be mindful of where and when trapping activities may occur—on public lands and on private lands by permission. Most trapping seasons and activities occur during the winter because pelts are in prime condition at this time.
• Carry the appropriate tools (wire cutter and length of rope) and know how to use them to release your dog from a trap.

Some ODFW field offices have demonstration trap sets. Pet owners may call their local office to make an appointment to come in and see how traps work and how to safely release a pet from a trap.

The organization UtahPAWS also has tips on how to release pets from traps on their website:

Foothold traps http://utahpaws.org/pet_safety/foothold_traps
Snares http://utahpaws.org/pet_safety/snares
Conibear (killing) traps http://utahpaws.org/pet_safety/conibear_traps

The chance of a dog being captured in a trap is low based on the number of traps in relation to public land. Traps set for coyotes, bobcats and raccoons are the types of sets most likely to inadvertently capture a dog.

Individuals that see traps they believe are illegally set should not disturb the trap, but contact Oregon State Police. OSP can identify the owner of a legally set trap through a unique branding number required on each trap. Meddling with traps is unlawful.

Bobcat trapping season opens Dec. 1. Raccoon trapping season opened Nov. 15. Coyote trapping season is open all year.

Michelle Dennehy
[email protected]
(503) 931-2748
If you're interested in learning more about how trapping and hunting fur-bearing animals is regulated in Oregon, here's a PDF that gives the rundown.

I suspect the animal rights activists oppose bobcat trapping because the main purpose is to collect a pelt, not harvest food. There currently is no limit for bobcat in season under Oregon regs, though a permit is required. I hear a lot from ODFW about the "over-population" of cougar and bobcat, but it makes no sense to me: both are top or near-top predators, so their population is a direct reflection of the availability of prey. If they're preying on domestic stock, then I suppose you could use that argument for artificially limiting their numbers, but if they're really just a reflection of a healthy population of native prey, then it strikes me that there should be some limit on harvest.

My two cents. Interesting report, Sean!

Tom :)