Icy Upp. McCord-Elowah Falls w/Herman Crk Pinnacles: 12/29

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Icy Upp. McCord-Elowah Falls w/Herman Crk Pinnacles: 12/29

Post by Sean Thomas » December 31st, 2012, 12:50 am

I got out for a couple short hikes with my girlfriend and brother on Saturday. The weather was crisp and clear making for great views across the river to a snowy Hamilton Mountain. First we ended up at Herman Creek and hiked over to the junction with the Herman Bridge Trail #406E. We opted for the descent to bear springs flat just above the Herman Bridge and made our way to the north bound PCT. Stepping onto the PCT and Pacific Crest Falls came right into view after turning around to admire the water splashing onto the trail. This is what the base of the falls looks like in spring:

Closeup of the stream crashing on the trail:

There was some frozen and crunchy snow to slide around on as we hiked along :)

The Pinnacles are a good destination on any day:

We passed a couple of happy hikers on the way back and stopped near the bridge to take a few more pics and admire a portland hiker's handy work:

Thanks for all the hard work mcds, we noticed the tread work on the drainage ditches near the TH last time up Herman and were stoked to see the freshly cut logs near the bridge on Saturday. You are a trail work hero for the gorge goers!

Back at the TH we opted for John B. Yeon State Park and did the classic double dip with a visit to the base of Elowah Falls first and then a slippery trip to Upper McCord Falls:

I like Upper McCord. I am always happy to have the handrail on the cliffside between me and the dropoff :) not on the other side with me hanging on for dear life, like eagle creek in the ice last year :oops: :D

The licorice fern fronds and alum root leaves that decorate the cliff side trail were frozen still:

It is a great time to visit Upper McCord with all the leaves gone, the views of Elowah and all the layers of rock from the cliffside trail are awesome:

Upper McCord Falls from the classic viewspot:

Heading out we snapped a few more pics of the view across the river to Hamilton and Table Mountains with Ives Island in the foreground:

Splintercat

Re: Icy Upp. McCord-Elowah Falls w/Herman Crk Pinnacles: 12/

Post by Splintercat » January 1st, 2013, 9:49 pm

Great two-fer report, Sean -- very nice pics! Love those ice/fern shots... beautiful!

BTW, I took a friend up there many years ago, and in a moment of bravado (translation: utter stupidity), he climbed over the rail and hung out over the side by one arm... I couldn't even look..! Ack... :shock:

Tom :)