Nick Eaton / Green Point Mtn / Gorton Loop - 10-Oct-2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Nick Eaton / Green Point Mtn / Gorton Loop - 10-Oct-2012

Post by VanMarmot » October 12th, 2012, 4:51 am

Eight-two days without appreciable rain (0.04" counts as damp not rain). But the season was finally changing and the TV weather folks were once again gleeful over an approaching low - due in this coming weekend. So I took time to grab one more summer-like day on the trail and headed for an old classic - up the Nick Eaton, back to Green Point Mtn, and then a return via Gorton Ck. Mine was the first and only car at the Herman Ck TH (there would be two others there when I got back - and saw only two folks on the trail all day) and the early part of the hike was under overcast skies.

But by the time I'd gotten on to the Nick Eaton,

and climbed a bit, I was above the low clouds - which were starting to retreat anyway.

There was even a view of a mostly melted-out Adams on the far horizon.

The trail was in great condition and progress was rapid up to Ridge Camp, where Fall colors lined the trail.

This may have been the first time I'd hiked to Green Point without encountering any snow and walking smoothly on good trail through a towering forest was sheer joy. I've visited some of the world's great cathedrals, but not one was as magnificent as this stretch of trail.

The view from Green Point Mtn didn't disappoint, with Adams in the distance and Mt. Defiance looming above Rainey Lk.

Even Rainier made an appearance,

as did, of course, Hood.

These shorter Fall days meant that the sun was sliding toward the ridges as I headed back through the waning colors,

and forests bracing for the first snows.

A great end to an amazing summer hiking season. 17.6 mi, 4600' EG.

Splintercat

Re: Nick Eaton / Green Point Mtn / Gorton Loop - 10-Oct-2012

Post by Splintercat » October 13th, 2012, 10:04 pm

Thanks, Van - excellent report! I was hoping to get up to Rainy/Green Point this summer, but lost a couple months of hiking due to my doggy hospital saga... sigh... might be able to squeeze this in before the snows, but I've been saving this for a perfect day (a "bluebird day", in VanMarmon parlance) :)

I'm pretty sure you scored this one on the last summer-like day of the year, Van. Good call!

-Tom :)

VanMarmot

Re: Nick Eaton / Green Point Mtn / Gorton Loop - 10-Oct-2012

Post by VanMarmot » October 14th, 2012, 7:37 am

Splintercat wrote:Thanks, Van - excellent report! I was hoping to get up to Rainy/Green Point this summer, but lost a couple months of hiking due to my doggy hospital saga... sigh... might be able to squeeze this in before the snows, but I've been saving this for a perfect day (a "bluebird day", in VanMarmon parlance) :)

I'm pretty sure you scored this one on the last summer-like day of the year, Van. Good call!

-Tom :)
Thanks, Tom. If La Nina works as advertised, the rest of this year could be stormy, but with a dry lull early next year. I'm polishing my snow shoes in anticipation. Sorry about the hospital saga - hope things are OK now. Just a reminder to hike today because tomorrow is no sure bet...