9/29/12 June Lake to Loowit Trail towards Ape Canyon

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mileagemike25000

9/29/12 June Lake to Loowit Trail towards Ape Canyon

Post by mileagemike25000 » October 2nd, 2012, 7:17 pm

June Lake is a beautiful trail and should be on the checklist for a yearly hike. We started out at the TH and noticed about 6 cars parked there.
1 June Lake TH_(1).JPG
We headed out toward the lake and only saw one couple on the way there. :) We quickly reached the bridge over the stream that drains from the lake. I can't seem to find the name of that stream/creek, if there is one? :?
2 Bridge over stream from June Lake_(1).JPG
That's a really large old growth tree that the sign, to the right of the bridge, is nailed to!

There are several access points, to the lake, that are bordered by large brush. We accessed the southern side of the lake first.
3 June Lake #1_(1).JPG
We noticed a group of people at the northern side of the lake that my wife wanted to avoid. I wanted a straight-on picture of the falls and decided to go there anyway! :lol: It was well worth it as you'll see in a bit.
4 Nice view of waterfalls in back of June Lake_(1).JPG
The group of people was actually a boy scout group that was cleaning up the fire rings left by previous campers. :D As I took some pictures my wife was talking to a couple. I asked if they were members of PH'ers and was happy to meet Bobcat and Kathryn (sorry if the spelling is wrong?)!
5 Bobcat & Katheryn_(1).JPG
We had a short but very nice talk. At the continuous subtle urging of my wife (I can talk forever :lol: ) we continued our hike.

So......, we continued up the switchbacks at the north end of the lake and intersected the Loowit Trail.
6 Intersection with Loowit_(1).JPG
I haven't hiked the section of the Loowit toward Ape Canyon and we turned right to head in that direction. There's a lot of lava and scree on this section of the trail. I looked back at my wife, knowing she wasn't a fan of this (yes, I know this is Mt. St. Helens and I LOVE this terrain) and pretended it wasn't a big deal! :?
7 Lava rock & scree everywhere!_(1).JPG
It was looking pretty awesome to me and we continued our hike on this moonscape.
8 More lava rock & scree_(1).JPG
There are a few parts of this trail that are forested, but it's not as interesting as the exposed lava fields. I was really enjoying the view as we climbed in elevation. The view, looking east, was outstanding and you can see the base of Mt. Adams in the distance! :)
9 Nice views of valley and base of Mt. Adams! Fire not very visible._(1).JPG
The winds were gusting toward the NE and the Cascade Creek fire, at Mt. Adams, was barely discernable. We did see two small plumes just above the trees, and below the cloud ceiling, but my pictures really didn't catch it.

We started slowing our pace considerably as the terrain got a bit more rocky and the wife became more cautious. :cry:
10 I'm lovin this trail but the wife isn't!_(1).JPG
I suggested she wait here as I wanted to at least take a peak around the bend. She was very agreable as there was cell service! :shock: It's a good thing for her as the terrain only became a bit more difficult to traverse. Actually, I was loving this! :D I stopped at a viewpoint of the base of Mt. St. Helens. I could see the seismometer that I know is located just above the Ape Canyon trail, but it was still several miles away. :x
11 Base of Mt. St. Helens view_(1).JPG
Heading back toward June Lake we decided to take the Loowit around toward Chocolate Falls. We noticed this amazing fungi on a snag. The color, shape and texture were amazing! :) Does anyone know the name?
12 Exceptionally bright colored fungi - What is it_(1).JPG
You will also see quite a few old growth trees in the vicinity of the June Lake and Loowit Trail intersection.
13 Plenty of old growth in vicinity of Loowit intersection_(1).JPG
We didn't go very far up the trail before turning around and calling it a day. On the way back I went down to the creek that tracks along the June Lake trail.
14 Stream near June Lake TH_(1).JPG
There were quite a few more hikers and a couple of trail runners on the way back from June Lake. There were also a few more cars in the parking lot when we returned.

The hike was 7.5 miles with an elevation gain of about 1650ft.
June Lake to Loowit Trail.JPG

Sean Thomas

Re: 9/29/12 June Lake to Loowit Trail towards Ape Canyon

Post by Sean Thomas » October 2nd, 2012, 10:33 pm

Bobcat and Mileage up at June Lake! Cool you guys ran into each other out there :)

Bobcat can correct me but I think that is sulphur shelf.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » October 3rd, 2012, 5:31 am

Nice TR. The map you posted shows a lot of other trails intersecting - I bet some nice loop hikes could be made in that area (I've never been there though).

I total relate to your tendency to banter, Mike. I can go on forever myself. :lol:

Very cool that you met up with Bobcat and company.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 3rd, 2012, 7:18 am

It certainly looks like sulphur shelf - a little caveat here: most of the sulphur shelf in North America was considered one species (Laetiporus sulphureus) and highly edible (also known as chicken-of-the-woods); recent genetic analysis has shown that the ones in the west are different (Laetiporus conifericola) - these have some mild toxicity and can cause some gastric problems.

I have always known that there were other bobcats out there although we tend to be a solitary species (Occasionally I come upon their scat and tracks as they move across my territory). I even know a few Kathryns of various spellings. And I'd be honored to be associated with a Boy Scout cleanup - but I wasn't anywhere near June Lake this past weekend: I wonder who that PH really was?

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » October 3rd, 2012, 6:09 pm

Sean - Yeah, it's nice to meet a Bobcat from PH'ers. I just wish it was the one that frequents this forum. :? Also, thanks for the name of that fungus. It certainly deserves a cool name like that! 8-)

Jim - Thanks! There are quite a few trails in that region and many of them are for cross-country skiing. That being said, we really enjoy hiking the cross-country trails early in the winter before the ski season starts. :) There are a few loop opportunities that would be fun to try, but I'm not sure about the distances?

I'm glad someone can relate to tendency to have extended conversations. :) Perhaps someday we'll meet on the trail and it will be a talking fest. :lol:

The Bobcat and company we met was very nice and I hope he responds to this TR.

And in response to the Bobcat that we all know in this forum - I'm glad to have met a different bobcat and am hoping we can meet you someday on the trail? :) I will say that the one we met seemed a bit startled, at first, when I asked if he was a member of PH'ers and his PH trail name. I didn't quite get Kathryn's PH name as she was trying to remember it and we didn't catch it. I mentioned that he had responded to some of my TR's and he said it could be but didn't sound too definitive. My impression was that the bobcat name was the same, but he didn't frequent the site much. :? I pushed it aside as being caught off guard. Perhaps he will read this TR and clear up the confusion?

And thanks for the detailed info on the sulpher shelf fungi. It's interesting how the western variety has gained some toxicity. It's truly has amazing form and color!

bobkatr1

Post by bobkatr1 » October 4th, 2012, 12:39 pm

Mileage Mike,

Our PH name is Bobkatr1 that is for Bob and Katherine are one...it was great to meet you and your wife. That section of the Loowit trail is tough through the boulder field but once you get past there the trail goes through a huge huckleberry field. As soon as you leave the huckleberries you are out in the open and have to cross two washout areas. Both areas were rebuilt by WTA a couple of years ago but the loose soils usually wipe the trail out pretty fast. We hiked from June Lake to Ape Canyon and down to the Ape Canyon trailhead last summer and the trail was passable but eroding already. If you leave one car at June Lake and another at Ape Canyon, it makes for a great 13 mile hike.

Bobkatr1

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » October 4th, 2012, 7:22 pm

Hello Bob and Katherine! :) My wife and I were happy to meet both of you on the trail! This is only the second time we have met PH'ers on the trail, and we enjoyed the conversation. I'm also glad you found this TR as it definitely cleared up the whole bobcat/Bobkatr1 naming issue. ;) Sorry about the incorrect spelling of Katherine's name.

Thanks for highlighting the key sections of the trail between June Lake and Ape Canyon. It also helps to know the distance between the June Lake TH and Ape Canyon TH as we wanted to complete that section but didn't know how far it was.

Take care and perhaps we'll see you on the trail again. :)
Last edited by mileagemike25000 on October 5th, 2012, 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » October 4th, 2012, 7:34 pm

mileagemike25000 wrote:I'm glad someone can relate to tendency to have extended conversations. :) Perhaps someday we'll meet on the trail and it will be a talking fest. :lol:
The way you two get around on the trails it wouldn't surprise me if we cross paths. Sometimes I think my hiking TFFs start hiking faster, to either get away from my jabber or make me work harder so I have to breathe instead of talk. :lol:
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando