1-3/Aug/2012 Sarek National Park, Sweden

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
potato

Re: 1-3/Aug/2012 Sarek National Park, Sweden

Post by potato » August 24th, 2012, 2:26 pm

Nice to see a TR from overseas :) looks like a great place to go! Thanks!

drm wrote:So is Swedish connected to Native American languages? I think not, but a coincidence?
The way I read it, he was saying that the Swedish for what we would call (Elk or Wapiti) is Kronhjort.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

fettster

Re: 1-3/Aug/2012 Sarek National Park, Sweden

Post by fettster » August 25th, 2012, 8:01 am

bobcat wrote:Coincidentally, I also know people in Luleå although I have never visited them on their home turf (I've taken advantage of their second home in Switzerland). Now you've inspired me to consider a trip to the North!
It's nice to have international friends huh? Swiss connection, nice!!

One interesting feature of the lower trail was the usage of wooden beams. Since there are some rather marshy stretches there are stretches they've laid down boards so you aren't sinking in and getting wet feet. Eskil and I both actually enjoyed this. The going was flat and easy to walk on compared to the rocky and rooted path in the forest, and we could scurry away from the limitless bugs a little faster even though they seemed to like hanging out on the boards too.

It was also interesting how a national park in Sweden differs to one in the states. Their parks are really much more like what we consider a wilderness area here, with no park entrance (and no park fee either), no paved roads, and not even a visitor center (that I'm aware of). We just pulled into trailhead on the gravel road and got going when we arrived. Much more subdued than national parks here.