Loowit Trail: 7/26-28

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
awildman

Loowit Trail: 7/26-28

Post by awildman » July 30th, 2012, 9:09 pm

There have been a lot of Loowit Trail reports recently, so I'm going to keep this short and non-looney. (CFM, jump in here.) CFM and I backpacked around Mt. St. Helens in a respectable 2.25 days, enjoying some fine views, prolific wildflowers, and relative solitude. We started and ended at June Lake and hiked clockwise, camping at the Toutle River (getting water from the source .25 miles down the Toutle trail) and near Ape Canyon. We didn't have any trouble with the trail, but climbing out of the north side of the Toutle River canyon sketched me out. As a general rule with the Loowit Trail, if you have issues with exposure, balance, or being really filthy dirty for days on end, proceed with caution. It's an awesome experience, but not for everyone.

Some notes:

The snow is almost all gone; the water sources are drying up. All of the main drainages are really silty, particularly in the afternoons.
The flies are out, but not biting. No mosquitoes.
The lupine and penstemon is going off on the Plains of Abraham and Windy Pass - a must see.
There are really aggressive little brown mice at June Lake.
There is a velociraptor in a geocache on the east side of the mountain.
A freestanding tent works better in this environment.
If you don't pack cheese, it is what you will think about for three days.

Some photos:

June Lake mist

morning shadows

traversing through the lava fields

the re-route through the (near) Sheep Canyon washout

Toutle River canyon in the morning

CFM is part mountain goat

elevensies

water making canyons in The Breach

contemplating the rock-hop in The Breach

Mt. Margaret Backcountry and Spirit Lake

lupine, lupine, lupine

the velociraptor

prime time entertainment

lupine

Milky Way over MSH, with Portland-Vancouver metropolitan area glow

wildflower show with Mt. Adams

CFM totally pushed me at the last second
Rambling on at Allison Outside

Jane

Re: Loowit Trail: 7/26-28

Post by Jane » July 30th, 2012, 9:22 pm

Trip report and photos: wow, what a ride!! You gals had uber fun, thank you for sharing this! :)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 31st, 2012, 5:45 am

Nice!

Maybe you spent less time loonily hiking and more time taking pictures?

sjhaj

Post by sjhaj » July 31st, 2012, 6:26 am

Great photos! Thank you for sharing.

We did the hike counter-clockwise starting on 27 and ending mid-day on 28th and might have crossed paths at the spring before (clockwise) Loowit falls.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » July 31st, 2012, 7:26 am

Really stellar pictures as always, Allison. The lupine were just starting 2.5 weeks ago when we were there, and already smelled amazing, so I can only imagine what it was like for you guys.

Was this the part that sketched you out?
awildman wrote: Image
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

awildman

Post by awildman » July 31st, 2012, 7:50 am

Jane wrote:Trip report and photos: wow, what a ride!! You gals had uber fun, thank you for sharing this! :)
Thanks, we did have fun!
retired jerry wrote:Maybe you spent less time loonily hiking and more time taking pictures?
It would say it was 40% looney hiking, 30% photos, 30% sleeping. :)
We did the hike counter-clockwise starting on 27 and ending mid-day on 28th and might have crossed paths at the spring before (clockwise) Loowit falls.
I remember! You guys were going pretty light. Where did you start/end?
Bosterson wrote:Really stellar pictures as always, Allison. The lupine were just starting 2.5 weeks ago when we were there, and already smelled amazing, so I can only imagine what it was like for you guys. Was this the part that sketched you out?
Thanks, Bosterson! Indeed. I went left when I should have gone right. CFM is illustrating the proper technique and route up the chute.

roadtripmom

Post by roadtripmom » July 31st, 2012, 12:54 pm

Now I know why your photos are so amazing. My boyfriend and I ran into you west of June lake on Thursday and he was jealous of your camera :) So glad you had a fantastic trip.

Amanda
Filling my bucket, one hike at a time.
Amanda

ss29er

Post by ss29er » July 31st, 2012, 1:12 pm

Mind if I ask what kind of camera system you used? I'm always curious as I slowly begin to scout out a new system.

awildman

Post by awildman » July 31st, 2012, 3:54 pm

roadtripmom wrote:Now I know why your photos are so amazing. My boyfriend and I ran into you west of June lake on Thursday and he was jealous of your camera :) So glad you had a fantastic trip.
Were you guys heading back towards June Lake in the morning? Where did you end up going for the rest of your trip? (I think we saw you again on Friday afternoon, climbing up to Loowit Falls.)
ss29er wrote:Mind if I ask what kind of camera system you used? I'm always curious as I slowly begin to scout out a new system.
I carry a Nikon D90 DSLR with an 18mm-200mm Nikkor lens, with an inexpensive UV filter to protect the glass. The focal lengths are a great range for the backpacking (wide angle for vistas, zoom for distance and macros), but there are compromises.

I have a keyhole harness system from Backcountry Solutions that hangs off my backpack straps and that allows me to hang the camera. It's the most comfortable and accessible system I've found - and very secure.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 31st, 2012, 5:03 pm

Amazing photos, Allison! The milky-way is great! But I think my favorite is that one right before it, simply titled "lupine". The colors are just outstanding.

I'm not sure I'd last three days out there. At least not without buying more camera batteries first! (I fired off 500 frames in 10 hours up there the other day!) Sure looks like you had fun. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...