7/6/12 Monte Cristo Trail #53 to Monte Carlo Trail #52 Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mileagemike25000

7/6/12 Monte Cristo Trail #53 to Monte Carlo Trail #52 Loop

Post by mileagemike25000 » July 11th, 2012, 8:01 pm

My wife and I have been steadily completing sections of the Buck Creek Loop located north of White Salmon, WA. After reading the TR from bobcat we had an idea of what to expect. Our hike was very similar to his except we didn't visit Monte Cristo as we wanted to have a slightly shorter hike. Also, the map I have included at the end of the report was from our GPS.

First I want to thank @chrisca from PH's for the brushout of the Monte Carlo trail as it was in excellent shape and cleaned up nicely! :)

We started out at the Monte Cristo #53 TH located on Oklahoma Road. We were able to drive within 100ft of the trail, although the road has quite a few potholes.
1 Monte Cristo #53 TH on Oklahoma Rd_(1).JPG
The Monte Cristo #53 trail was very clear and is a great workout as it constantly gains altitude without many level areas.
2 Trail in great shape and appears brushed out!_(1).JPG
We reached a road where a sign indicated the direction to Monte Cristo #53(left) or toward Monte Carlo #52(right).
3 Reached Monte Cristo 53 & Monte Carlo 52 Trail Intersection_(1).JPG
Turning right and traversing a small meadow we quickly reached a more defined trail that headed up toward the ridge! As we climbed up the trail we looked back in an open area to see a great view of Monte Cristo!
4 Looking back toward Monte Cristo_(1).JPG
The trail to the ridge follows a large number of switchbacks and was a continuation of a good workout! The trail breaks out into an open meadow before hitting the ridge and there were a number of rock piles showing the way. At this point the trail turns south very quickly.
5 Reaching long ridgeline_(1).JPG
The view from this end of the ridge was fantastic with views of the surrounding Mt's to the west and a view of Mt. Adams to the north! :o There were also a multitude of flowers along the rock field below the ridge.
6 Excellent view from ridge_(1).JPG
And as you follow along the ridge (old road) you will see an endless meadow with flowers scattered throughout.
7 Ridge goes on forever_(1).JPG
After a while we finally intersected a sign indicating the trail direction to meet up with the Monte Carlo #52 trail. This location also appears to be near the Monte Carlo summit but it doesn't really stand out (from what we saw) as more than a rock pile? ;)
8 Trail intersection near Monte Carlo Summit_(1).JPG
However, there was a small area that felt more like a summit, just off trail and a short distance from the sign, where the view to the east was excellent. Does anyone know where the official Monte Carlo summit exists as the garmin map seems a bit off in my opinion?
9 View east from open are off trail from Monte Carlo summit_(1).JPG
We continued down the trail and came upon a sign indicating that switchbacks were ahead. I guess if you're on a bike this could be important!
10 Sign before heading down to flowered meadow & Mt Hood view_(1).jpg
At the onset of the switchbacks came the spectacular view of Mt. Hood framed by the surrounding Mt's.! :o
11 Superior view of Mt Hood!_(1).jpg
We descended down the switchbacks and then came upon a very very ugly active clearcut that obliterated the trail! :x
12 New clear cut - trail obliterated!_(1).JPG
I guess it's time to get on my soapbox. This area looked horrible and many of the trees felled were very large; meaning 3.5ft+ in diameter. :cry: They weren't quite old growth but they were older trees! Also, the trail was eliminated for 1-2 blocks and we had to climb over a sloppy mix of dirt mounds and tree debris! We finally reached some downed brush that had to be cleared before hitting the new bare dirt road. At this point we were depressed and wondered what the trail looked like ahead? Needless to say, it didn't look great as we hiked through what looked like overgrown brush with young trees that couldn't have been planted more than a couple years ago. The trail was somewhat easy to follow but not a good experience. I'd have to say that we will never hike this region of the trail again! The one consolation, if there is one, is that we reached a region called the Middle Fork Grove which contained a small number of Old Growth trees and a very nice bridge. It was strange that the bridge had orange posts and reflectors just prior to the crossing. ;)
13 Bridge over stream in Middle Fork Grove_(1).JPG
We continued the hike and eventually reached a parking area that required the Discover Pass(no picture)!

And as we continued we finally reached the intersection with the Monte Carlo #52 trail that led back down to Oklahoma Road.
14 Reached intersection to head down to Oklahoma Rd_(1).JPG
There were also some views on the hike down toward Oklahoma Rd but I've run out of room for pictures. The walk back to our car along the road was uneventful except for the young group of campers that decided to shoot guns in the campground. :shock:

The hike was 11.5miles with an elevation gain of about 2250ft.
15 Monte Cristo to Monte Carlo Loop Trail.JPG

stewvg

Re: 7/6/12 Monte Cristo Trail #53 to Monte Carlo Trail #52 L

Post by stewvg » July 11th, 2012, 8:08 pm

Another nice TR mike. You've been cranking them out this week!!! I see a slight halo around some of your sky borders, do you use some XDR software?
Stew
More of my photos at http://picasaweb.google.com/stewvg

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » July 11th, 2012, 8:20 pm

Thanks Stew! My Canon 5d mkIII takes HDR pictures and I liked this blending mode the best (there are 5 in-camera blending options). The camera is doing the picture merging and blending and apparently this is an artifact of the processing. It also gives me the option of saving all 3 images so that I can use a 3rd party software tool, such as photoshop, to merge the pictures. This would probably yield much better results but I just don't have the time so I let the camera do the work for me. :(

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 12th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Hi Mike,

Yes, I did the loop in reverse direction. No idea where the actual summit of Monte Carlo is although it's marked at the south end on maps. There may be more than one point on the ridge that's the same height, though.

I hit the logging coming up from the Middle Fork. They had the trail closed off and I had to continue via roads and a bit of a bushwhack. That road into the logging area was made this year. Interesting they had no warning signs from the other end, but maybe they're done with the logging now.

I've noticed that DNR is never in any hurry to repair trails through logged areas. It seems this should be part of the contract. We'll see what happens with this one.

As for the logging itself, expect to see it done more intensively on state lands in both Washington and Oregon. Both states use the income to help fund education. In a climate where talking about raising taxes to fund public services is no way to garner votes, this is what they'll be doing (+ more and more user fees) to support various functions of government.

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » July 12th, 2012, 6:05 pm

Bobcat - Yeah, the summit of Monte Carlo looks like it could be one of several bumps or rock piles? I'll just call it "summited" since I walked through the general area! :lol:

The trail may have been closed off from the clockwise direction as there was a pink ribbon laying flat on the ground. I just figured that flat on the ground meant okay to pass and a taught ribbon would mean closed? The real issue here is that we were somewhat committed to completing the hike as we didn't want to turn around and go back to the ridge. The trail didn't appear closed off at the new road as no closure sign was evident. However, as far as I'm concerned they were still logging as there were many cut logs still just off the trail. There was also a large pile of stacked logs just down the dirt road.

I'm hoping they repair the trail soon but it is still a fairly easy navigation for the 1-2 blocks it was obscured. I also observed that if you follow the trail in a fairly straight line, from either direction, you will hit the connecting trail on the other side of the clearcut!

I have noticed that the state lands are being more aggressively logged. I heard something on the news about the lack of logging on federal lands so the states are trying to make up for this lost revenue (or something like that)! I guess if they're going to log then at least it's going toward a good cause; education!