Tumble Lake, Sardine Mtn and Dome Rock: 6/21/12

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Tumble Lake, Sardine Mtn and Dome Rock: 6/21/12

Post by Sean Thomas » June 22nd, 2012, 12:16 am

A poster here named Ezra reported hiking up Tumble Ridge a few days ago prompting Jojo and I to check out a new destination. We began our hike off hwy 22 across from Detroit Lake. This area is just north of Detroit Lake and south of Opal lake and the Opal Creek Wilderness.

Around the 4 mile mark some Gray Jays dropped in for a chirp or two:

Feeling good we hit the Dome Rock trail pretty early and headed up for the amazing views. Where we had a good look east down to Tumble Lake with Sardine Mtn on the right:

Summit views and Mt Jefferson:

To get to the Sardine we continued east and when the trail ended we hiked road 520 for about a mile to the southern approach of Sardine Mountain. Sardine mountain is a little bit higher than Dome Rock and sits at 4948 ft of elevation. There is no trail to the summit but the schwack is short and pretty simple other than the steepness.

Joie on the road before Sardine(bottom left):

Three Sisters from the rd:

The schwack up to the top of Sardine Mtn starts in the forest for the first few hundred yards and then breaks out into the open below the summit's south side:

About half way up things get a little steeper and the views just keep getting better:

Just below the top were great views back to Dome Rock and Mt Jefferson:

Mt Hood and even Adams were visible to the north from the true summit:

On our way back from Sardine Mtn we couldnt resist a full tour of the area and had to visit Tumble Lake. The trail that drops to the lake loses quite a bit of eg so we took a relaxing late afternoon lunch at the lake before the final 5-7 miles back to the car. Tumble Lake from the shore:

Water Tower Mountain(right) and Tumble Rock with Tumble Lake:

On our way back from the lake we found a Rubber Boa taking in the late day heat:

And a photo compilation of some other shots from the day:

stewvg

Re: Tumble Lake, Sardine Mtn and Dome Rock: 6/21/12

Post by stewvg » June 22nd, 2012, 2:33 pm

Nice TR. I was up a few weeks ago and it looks like the snow has melted a LOT! I lost the trail going down to the lake due to too much snow.

Dome Rock, Tumble Lake from Detroit Lake 5/27/12

and jessbee made it up before me...
Dome Rock: Third Time's a Charm 5/13/12
Stew
More of my photos at http://picasaweb.google.com/stewvg

kelkev

Post by kelkev » June 22nd, 2012, 4:23 pm

Great photos and trip report! Did this one 3 years ago, but didn't do Sardine....

I'd like to get a photo of the waterfall at the outlet of Tumble Lake. I think it's seasonal, but it looks impressive when it's flowing.

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » June 22nd, 2012, 5:23 pm

Great report of an area I have been to many times as a kid.

I was thinking that at the end of the lake is a cool campsite where cool air comes up out of the ground. But thinking more on it, I believe that was Moose lake by Sweet Home.

Tumble lake has probably the thickest patch of Devil's Club I ever saw.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » June 23rd, 2012, 2:49 pm

Thanks stew, kev and Rick. It is a great area to explore and offers a lot of viewpoints from the different peaks and roads etc. The trail down to the lake was easy to follow until it began to follow a creek bed for a few hundred yards, then it wasnt much further to the lake on solid trail again.

We wanted check out the falls but left it for another day. I expected to see people at the lake but we only saw one guy all day long near Dome Rock. Tumble Lake seemed less visited than I imagined it would be, maybe the steep trail down keeps hikers away?

Anyone been up to Water Tower Mountain? looks spectacular up there.