Nestor Peak via Buck Creek TH #1 - blowdown

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
chrisca

Nestor Peak via Buck Creek TH #1 - blowdown

Post by chrisca » June 14th, 2012, 10:12 am

Nestor Peak via the Buck Creek trailhead #1 is not advisable at this time. I was stopped by blowdown (20 trees or so) on the road about 1/3 mile from the trailhead. I got through the trees and about a half mile up the trail before reaching impassable blowdown. I cleared what could be removed by hand up to that point as I had no tools with me. It looks like getting this trail usable again will take a major volunteer effort.

mcds

Re: Nestor Peak via Buck Creek TH #1 - blowdown

Post by mcds » June 17th, 2012, 12:08 pm

interesting, where is this located? any pictures of the blowdown?

chrisca

Post by chrisca » June 19th, 2012, 10:54 am

I didn't take photos, but it's severe. I heard from others that the blowdown is in a band of altitude that's fairly narrow, so once it's cleared the higher parts of the trail and the access roads should be mostly open. Clearing the road is being done by a contractor as I saw the trees were numbered with spray paint. A lot of what's on the trail could be done with hand tools but some trees are large diameter and will require trained people to remove them.

Buck Creek TH #1 is off state highway 141 via the road to what used to be Northwestern Lake. For a useful map, see http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/eng_ ... ck_all.pdf

drm

Post by drm » June 19th, 2012, 12:03 pm

I tried to go up there early in the spring and was blocked from getting to the TH, maybe a half mile before. Sounds like they haven't made too much progress since then, but clearly a lot of work went into opening it that far.