Bald Butte Snowshoe

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sugar Pine

Bald Butte Snowshoe

Post by Sugar Pine » March 4th, 2018, 8:06 pm

Hiked/Snowshoed up Surveyors Ridge Trail from Pinemont Drive. The snow was very sticky, clinging to our snowshoes. Windy at the top, but otherwise a pleasant although cloudy day. Part way up we came across a deer, recently killed. We also saw prints from a wide variety of wildlife, much more than on our normal hikes. Made it interesting to stop and try to identify the animals.
Attachments
Bird Prints.jpg
Very large bird
Bald Butte View.jpg
View from Bald Butte

pcg

Re: Bald Butte Snowshoe

Post by pcg » March 4th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Sugar Pine wrote:Part way up we came across a deer, recently killed.
I know you said "deer, recently killed" , but are you sure it didn't die of natural causes and then was fed upon (only stomach and insides eaten), or had it been killed by something (damage to neck and perhaps rump/back in addition to above)? Of course at some point so much has been consumed that you can no longer determine how it died. A lot of deer in central Oregon are dying of AHD. Then coyotes dine on them. Any signs that something tried to bury it? Predator tracks? Are the canine tracks from your dog, or possibly a dog with other hikers?

A big reason I love winter in the mountains is that the snow leaves so much evidence of day to day activity and the drama that plays out.
Sugar Pine wrote: We also saw prints from a wide variety of wildlife, much more than on our normal hikes. Made it interesting to stop and try to identify the animals.
Bird tracks are from an eagle. At that location it could have been either bald or golden. Both will feed on carrion.

Sugar Pine

Post by Sugar Pine » March 4th, 2018, 10:18 pm

It looked like it was killed. Just off the trail there were clumps of fur and then on the trail intestines and scat. The body was down the hill and then pulled off the trail, although not buried. Its side was open with ribs showing, but we didn't get close enough to check out the wounds further.
Attachments
fur.jpg
Prints.jpg
Print.jpg

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » March 5th, 2018, 9:36 pm

Wow! That is so cool, Sugar Pine! Hoping Bobcats sees this post to help out with the wildlife ID.

Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » March 17th, 2018, 5:39 am

Did you start from the powerline saddle off Pinemont or further north? I went up there for recently and am looking forward to going again.

Sugar Pine

Post by Sugar Pine » March 19th, 2018, 6:07 pm

I don't recall the power line saddle. This image from Basecamp shows where we started the hike. We turned off Pinemont and drove just a short way to another junction where we saw the trail/ATV route start. But, we probably should have stayed on Pinemont as this turn was steep and snowy.
Attachments
Bald Butte.PNG
Basecamp image of the start of the hike.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » March 20th, 2018, 5:59 am

Sugar Pine wrote:I don't recall the power line saddle. This image from Basecamp shows where we started the hike. We turned off Pinemont and drove just a short way to another junction where we saw the trail/ATV route start. But, we probably should have stayed on Pinemont as this turn was steep and snowy.
Thanks! That's where I started as well. But further up you can access a saddle from the east that is to the south of Bald Butte. But it's a bit longer drive. It seems like a great area.
Colette Grace