Am I missing something? (Trail etiquette question)

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
guernica

Am I missing something? (Trail etiquette question)

Post by guernica » October 15th, 2011, 7:19 am

I meant to ask this earlier, but the week caught up with me.

Last weekend, a friend and I were backpacking up in Alpine Lakes. We set up camp in a well-marked, designated campsite and set about to enjoy the rest of the day.

What I want to know: what is trail etiquette regarding entering someone's campsite?

My rudimentary *understanding* is that if you notice someone's campsite, it's kind of their space for however long they are there. Most people are out in the wilderness to enjoy some variation on peace and quiet; my experience thus far with the backpacker community is that most of us try to create a community of mutual respect around that desire for solitude (not always, but most of the time). Whenever I have seen someone's tent pitched, although I may have accidentally bumbled across it during exploration, I immediately turn tail and head the other way. I wouldn't dream of imposing myself upon another backpacker's space, even if it had the amazing lunch spot in the world right there.

So I ask, because my friend and I had not one, not two, but three groups of people walk straight into our campsite that day, mostly for picture taking, some for exploring. As I said, our tent was in a well-marked, designated site. As you took the side trail up to the campsite, our tent was obvious so you could see it was someone's *home* for the night. Every party that entered our site, entered from this route, so it wasn't like they didn't see us.

The first two groups I wasn't so miffed about. It was a beautiful, if busy day on the trail, and I knew we had to *share.* The last group did me in though. At 7pm, a pair walked directly past our tent, saw me, nodded their heads, and then proceeded to set up camera gear not 20 feet away from us. Annoyed me to no end. Not only were they loud, but at that point I just felt they were imposing on my finally quiet evening. I appreciate the difficulties of night photography and getting the right shot. But even in the quest for a gorgeous shot, I wouldn't dream of imposing on another backpacker's site.

They were there for almost 2 hours before heading back out. I wanted to say something nice but poignant, but I have no idea what the trail etiquette is for this situation.

Thoughts? Am I way off base?

R11

Re: Am I missing something? (Trail etiquette question)

Post by R11 » October 15th, 2011, 8:28 am

Certainly the majority of people do seem to respect other's "space" for the most part, so this does seem unusual behavior on the surface. However, since it occurred not once but multiple times I would have to think there may have been other unique circumstances regarding the "spot". You offhandedly reference the possibility of it being "the amazing lunch spot of the world". Where exactly was this? What were the specifics of the spot? The only decent/strategic view in the area? Of course it's pretty rude to invade someone's camp but I can see in particular situations that it might be a bit more justified perhaps, at least for a quick look-see.

At any rate, someone setting up shop 20' from your tent for a couple hours seems very extreme, and absent any major extenuating circumstances, surely would have been met with some "resistance" by me if I were in your shoes... 8-)

ron

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » October 15th, 2011, 10:54 am

This situation is more likely to happen if you camp in a view spot close to the trail or if you camp in the very first site you come to at a lake or other attraction.

If at all possible, I personally prefer to "stealth camp" well away from existing sites, preferably several hundred yards off-trail. Not illegal but well-hidden. This practice preserves my privacy and means I have a much cleaner campsite. Of course there are areas where bare ground is not available except at established sites, or where it's illegal to camp anywhere but marked sites.

That being said, I would never, ever invade someone else's camp site without asking permission first!

Koda

Post by Koda » October 15th, 2011, 8:11 pm

Definetly poor ediquett. Technically, if your legally camping your tent is your home for your stay up to 14 days. If someone wants to photograph for 2 hours, proper ediquett would be to at least ask.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Crusak

Post by Crusak » October 15th, 2011, 8:30 pm

During the one and only time I got my wife & daughter out backpacking (2009, at Blue Lake in Indian Heaven) we had some PCT thru-hikers wander through our campsite, sit down, make themselves comfortable and join in on the conversation. Strangest thing ever. I was away from camp fishing when they first arrived. Everyone told me that they just came in and made themselves cozy by our fire. lol! Okay, truth is, they asked first. :D And the girls decided to let them sit down. The girls even offered them some food, hahaha.

Yeah, accidentally bushwhacking up into someone's camp is one thing. I try to give campers a very wide berth, going out of my way to walk way around their site. Only exception is when someone is camped right adjacent to the trail.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » October 16th, 2011, 6:54 am

Sometimes you can't help but pass through someone's camp. Jefferson Park comes to mind, where some of those trails around the lakes go right through the sites. But as a photographer, I would DEFINITELY ask the camper before setting up to take pictures so near a campsite, especially if I'm going to be there for two hours! In fact, even with permission I probably wouldn't feel comfortable hanging around for that long.

guernica

Post by guernica » October 16th, 2011, 9:10 am

Okay, the general feeling I'm getting from the group is that I'm not crazy.

Grannyhiker- we were in a high use area in Alpine Lakes. No stealth camping allowed (which is also what I prefer). You have to camp in designated areas, and all the campsites are clearly marked.

That said, I knew perfect solitude wasn't an option, it comes with the territory. Just like Jefferson Park, where yes, sometimes you have to almost go through a campsite to get to the next spot. But this site was off the main trail, so the only reason for someone to head directly into it was because they chose to walk directly into it.

Any suggestions on polite "resistance" next time (love that, R11)? :D I really wanted to ask them to leave, but wasn't sure how without coming across completely pissed off (which at that point, I was).

That said, I think if they had asked first and not worn out their welcome with a two hour layover, I would have been more than happy to share. Sometimes, it's just how people handle things that makes you want to dig in your heels and be a stubborn "It's mine!" mule. :shock:

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 16th, 2011, 5:24 pm

That does seem like poor etiquette. Although, maybe that particular location was especially close to the trail. But, that is still no excuse for lack of courtesy, especially from the photographers.

Having said that, I've been on day hikes and have run into some pretty rude hikers. We were having lunch at elk meadows when a very loud group took over the shelter and sat all around us. We finally moved. This summer we were at the ponds on the way to McNeil when a group took over the ponds and started wading in the ponds and splashing around. They were loud and obnoxious. Frankly I really did not care to hear about some old guy talking about how he didn't want to date women his age and wanted only the "young ones." Puleeze, in your dreams buster, you are not a catch. That beer gut needs to go. :lol:
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Charley

Post by Charley » October 16th, 2011, 5:42 pm

Waffle Stomper wrote:That does seem like poor etiquette. Although, maybe that particular location was especially close to the trail. But, that is still no excuse for lack of courtesy, especially from the photographers.

Having said that, I've been on day hikes and have run into some pretty rude hikers. We were having lunch at elk meadows when a very loud group took over the shelter and sat all around us. We finally moved. This summer we were at the ponds on the way to McNeil when a group took over the ponds and started wading in the ponds and splashing around. They were loud and obnoxious. Frankly I really did not care to hear about some old guy talking about how he didn't want to date women his age and wanted only the "young ones." Puleeze, in your dreams buster, you are not a catch. That beer gut needs to go. :lol:
:lol: Shoulda told him to see the look on his face! :D
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 16th, 2011, 6:31 pm

Crossed my mind, believe me. :D
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir