Knee pain / downhill technique

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
texasbb

Re: Knee pain / downhill technique

Post by texasbb » August 2nd, 2011, 7:38 am

drm wrote:... But I have to put in a word for prevention - if you have bad knees, do you really need to do quite so many huge hills? (I'm speaking in generalities here - I don't know what the original poster hikes) In recent years, I try and make my hikes on the big and steep gorge trails occasional. I want to stay in shape and visit some of the great places they lead to, but I hike them in limited quantities.
Interesting thought, and one I've had myself recently. I've become aware that, unintentionally and subconsciously, I plan hikes that way now. I used to think in terms of hiking loops in whatever direction made the uphills less difficult, but now I do the opposite. I used to be known for my demon speed on the downhills, but my most recent odometer rollover has reversed that. Age hasn't seemed to hinder the conditioning/endurance aspects of hiking, but it sure has the structural ones.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 2nd, 2011, 11:27 am

This is a great topic.

Something else I just thought of - the amount of weight you're carrying can have a big impact on how the knees feel (stating the obvious, I know). Dropping a few pounds through dieting has been a big help for me. But that isn't always the root of knee problems.

I have to say that the best solution I've found is doing moderate-to-strenuous exercise 5+ days a week, and hiking on the weekends. The part that has helped me the most has been strength training! :)

And I'm not suggesting that you need to develop big, bulky muscles. I've been mixing things up and incorporating weightlifting and strength training into my workouts, and it has yielded positive results. I'm 46 yrs old and probably in the best shape of my adult life. I'm sure that luck plays a big role in that for me, though.

But I'm no expert... I'm just an old basketball junky gym rat turned full-time hiking obsession guy. :)

I've been doing a lot of biking also, which is very low-impact, and probably helps strengthen the knees.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

jessbee

Post by jessbee » August 2nd, 2011, 1:01 pm

texasbb wrote:Your symptoms sound an awful lot like IT Band friction syndrome.
I agree. I had a similar experience, ironically, also coming down from Larch. Turns out my hamstrings and IT were pretty tight. Stretching after some RICE treatment seemed to do the trick. Regular stretching, combined with maybe yoga and some weight training should help to maintain healthy knees.

I use poles all the time now, since I had surgery on my left knee, and they help on the downhills tremendously. I also slow my pace down, take shorter steps, and try to keep my body in good alignment as I walk. Lots of good advice on this thread.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

geographics

Post by geographics » August 2nd, 2011, 1:21 pm

Last edited by geographics on February 23rd, 2012, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 2nd, 2011, 3:10 pm

geographics wrote:i'm learning quite a bit, thanks for starting this thread.

my knees feel much better if i wear shoes rather than boots. the main reason, i suspect, is that the foot/ankle is more flexible/springy in a shoe than in a boot, which reduces the jarring and shocks (jerk) that reach the knee. Plus the typical shoe compared to a boot absorbs more of the forces by twisting and deforming.
Good point about the footwear! Since I started wearing my current pair of lightweight boots I've fewer issues with my feet and knees. I suspect that after awhile footwear gets too broken down and less supportive.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

rosecity

Post by rosecity » August 2nd, 2011, 3:17 pm

I noticed a short time ago that YouTube has some stretches for the IT band. I think that some of the runners have been posting these.

markesc

Post by markesc » August 2nd, 2011, 6:35 pm

!!!

I had this happen to me about nine years ago...over on the PCT within the Russian Wilderness..... WORST f'n pain I've ever felt while hiking. I had to stop several times and just sit there on the trail like a pathetic idiot.

My solution: Just make sure to warm up slowly, then stretch....then haul up the Mt! After you relax at a summit, stretch again before heading back.

Have not had this happen since, however I can def. relate to the awful/annoying pain it causes!!

This was on the way to Paynes Lake, while I was in PAIN:
DSC02060b.jpg

Roy

Post by Roy » August 2nd, 2011, 7:54 pm

phoenician wrote:Question for those that do the bigger hikes regularly... is there a particular technique for preserving your knees when descending?

I've never had a single bit of knee pain on hikes like Dog, Nesmith, and even Defiance. Coming down Larch Mtn a several weeks ago, though, I started feeling a twinge on the upper part of the outside of my right knee. By the end of the hike it was less of a twinge and more of a pain. I didn't think much of it and figured I had just tweaked it hopping around in the snow. A week later on Nesmith, though, I felt the same thing almost immediately after starting my descent (never a problem going up). Since then I've only done small hikes, but I can tell that it's still there. It's much better if I turn my body a bit to the right so that when I'm coming off of my right leg I'm making more of an angled sideways step than a forward step. Previously, I had pretty much just charged downhill as if I was coming down stairs.

All that to say this: is side-stepping a preferable technique in the first place? Or should I be locking my knees more and letting my toes take the impact? Or should I be seeing a doctor?

...or do all of you use hiking poles, and I'm the only idiot who doesn't? :)
Do you suffer any swelling that lasts say a week or so? If so see a doctor swelling indicates something is grinding or rubbing not good.

Long time knee suffer, poles are a good thing. We are all put together different . I see many older people suffer no ill effects while running into there 80's . Others pain can start in their 40's.

My knee problems were caused by stupid choices in my youth. I am not a big believer in self diagnosis after 30 plus years of problems.

Again a lot of swelling is the worst sign. Other wise rest, stretching swimming or taking a break may make it all a memory.

Hope it works out for you - Roy
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

kateinoregon

Post by kateinoregon » August 3rd, 2011, 10:43 am

phoenician wrote:...or do all of you use hiking poles, and I'm the only idiot who doesn't? :)
You are not an idiot. But when we get to a certain age...;-)

I bought a single sturdy hiking stick/pole at REI last summer and it has made a HUGE difference for me. It telescopes to 20" and I carry in my pack when I don't need it. I paid @ $50-70 and it is worth EVERY penny. In my case, it leaves one hand free (as compared to a pair of poles) for controlling my dogs and operating my camera.

And the pole is especially useful on downhills with water/mud. And for fending off aggressive off-leash dogs (but that is another rant for another day).

From http://www.trekkingpolesguide.com/guide ... -poles.php
Hiking Staffs
"A hiking staff, also called a walking staff, is a single pole that can be effectively used on simple flat terrain without weight on your back. They are also adjustable like other types of trekking poles and some of them include anti-shock features. They're useful if you need one hand free (for example for photography) and if the trail is not as challenging but you would still like some lower body support."

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » August 5th, 2011, 12:28 am

The latest issue of Backpacker has a couple of great articles on walking, stride and stretching/strength-building exercises too. Might want to check it out.
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim