Moulton Falls Trail on the East Fork of the Lewis River WA

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
LLorenz

Moulton Falls Trail on the East Fork of the Lewis River WA

Post by LLorenz » July 12th, 2018, 2:00 pm

My name is Linda Lorenz and I have property near Moulton Falls Regional Park, Washington. It has just come to my attention that there will be a clear cut called the Michigan Trotter Clear Cut next to the Moulton Falls trail. This clear cut will be done on DNR land and is scheduled for January 2019. Just to clarify I understand that the clear cuts in Washington State help fund many important programs, yet, this clear cut in my opinion is in the wrong place. The natural beauty of this area is enjoyed by hikers, bikers and train riders and I would hate to see this clear cut come to fruition. Tourism is a growing industry in Washington State and this area is a destination spot for many out of town guests.

The campaign has a website:
https://preserve-our-trail.com/

Please help anyway you can. Write a letter, call DNR, WA spread the word.

Thanks

Eric Peterson

Re: Moulton Falls Trail on the East Fork of the Lewis River WA

Post by Eric Peterson » July 13th, 2018, 3:53 am

Thanks for the heads up - heading to lower Moulton Falls tomorrow for some cliff jumping.

Been curious about that trail adjacent to where we go every year, need to check it out further before this clear cut happens...

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » July 16th, 2018, 6:36 pm

From what I have read, that cut is supposed to come very close to the trail. I know that the state needs money, but somehow they seem to be able to get approval for clear cuts that the national forest folks wouldn't even attempt to push through.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

LLorenz

Post by LLorenz » July 17th, 2018, 8:11 am

This cut will be visible from the Lucia Falls Road, the Moulton Falls trail and the Chelatchie Prairie Railroad (which is a passenger train only.) VERY SAD........

Please send a note to Commissioner Hilary Franz to oppose this cut.