So what happened to the Skyline sign??

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Guy

So what happened to the Skyline sign??

Post by Guy » July 9th, 2018, 6:45 pm

I'm sure this is old news to many but it was my first trip up to Jefferson Park ridge since 2006 yesterday.

It was a truely wonderful day to be up there but I was a tad dissapointed that the Old Skyline Trail sign is gone! Anyone know what happened to it?

Still some good sized snow fields which was good to see. In fact the snow pattern on Jefferson seems to be almost exactly the same in my July 2006 pics and yesterdays pics.

2006: https://guy.smugmug.com/Outdoors-Hikes- ... /i-D5WJbdH

2018: https://guy.smugmug.com/Outdoors-Hikes- ... ge-180708/

Cheers.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Chip Down

Re: So what happened to the Skyline sign??

Post by Chip Down » July 9th, 2018, 7:12 pm

I can't help noticing the similarity to your McNeil shelter pic! :lol:

I don't remember seeing that, but I was there in...let's see, drove my Outback I think, must have been 15-20 years ago.

You've got some nice pics. I think it's funny that people fly to exotic locations, ignoring the amazing scenery a few hours away.

Yes, interesting how consistent snow patterns are from year to year. There will be variations, but not as much as people imagine. Even a lot of hikers are skeptical, but go into Jeff Park (as an example) in late summer every year, and you'll see remarkable similarity.

kelkev

Post by kelkev » July 10th, 2018, 4:58 am

I loved that old sign. It was there a few years ago....I'm very curious as to the circumstances of it's status now.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » July 10th, 2018, 6:09 am

I'm surprised you didn't see any remnants, but my guess is that it has succumbed to the elements. I would expect to see a bunch of broken wood on the ground, but who knows, maybe someone used it for firewood. I can't imagine the FS packed that sign out of there. Here is what it looked like in 2012 - it was being held together at that point by some rope:

For those of you who are interested in old signs, there is a neat one at the junction to the abandoned trail to Pyramid Butte - the junction is an old alignment of the PCT/Skyline trail:

The trail up Pyramid Butte itself is in pretty good shape - the hard part is finding the junction to get to it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Guy

Post by Guy » July 10th, 2018, 6:47 am

The lack of remnants is what made me curious.Only one of the uprights was still there. I guess it could have been picked up in a Winter storm and deposited a short distance away in the trees I didn't spend any time looking around for it. Kind of a shame :(
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » July 10th, 2018, 10:38 am

It is definitely a shame - that was a cool old sign - old school for sure - you don't see them like that anymore. That sign has to be at least 30 or 40 years old by now.

If it isn't in the area, I bet someone figured it was fair game for firewood since it was lying on the ground. That would be even more sad if it is true. I've seen signs that are broken be propped up (so at least you can see them).
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson