Eagle Creek, Exit 41

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Dustin DuBois

Eagle Creek, Exit 41

Post by Dustin DuBois » July 3rd, 2018, 1:03 pm

I just spent this last weekend at the Eagle Creek Overlook campground off exit 41 on I-84 West. That campground is still the only thing open off the exit (the other Eagle Creek campground directly South is still closed).

When you come off the exit, every direction is barricaded, except for the ramp back onto the freeway. We were stopped and questioned by someone at the barricade, and they told us that the Overlook is the only thing open, and not even the creek is accessible. Basically, go straight to the campground and nowhere else. They offered to momentarily move one of the safety barrels in the barricade, but we were able to just skirt around it. We came and went several times, and we were only stopped the first time, but there was almost always someone sitting in a vehicle near the barricades.

They told one of my other relatives that they are issuing $2,500 fines for entering the creek water anywhere between the exit and the campground gate (and likely all the way up-creek) - you have to basically get straight into the Columbia - no playing in the creek under the bridge or on the sand bar (this may also be detailed on the sign on the barricade, but I didn't stop to read, as I didn't plan on going anywhere but the campground).

So, exit 41 Eagle Creek is still pretty much entirely closed. The Overlook campground is reservation-only until October.
Hi!

Guy

Re: Eagle Creek, Exit 41

Post by Guy » July 3rd, 2018, 4:39 pm

Dustin DuBois wrote:
July 3rd, 2018, 1:03 pm
They told one of my other relatives that they are issuing $2,500 fines for entering the creek water anywhere between the exit and the campground gate .......
A good thing too, I mean entering creek water outside of the burn area just before it enters the Columbia whatever dangerous mischief will people get up to next!! ;)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Dustin DuBois

Re: Eagle Creek, Exit 41

Post by Dustin DuBois » July 3rd, 2018, 4:41 pm

Guy wrote:
July 3rd, 2018, 4:39 pm
A good thing too, I mean entering creek water outside of the burn area just before it enters the Columbia whatever dangerous mischief will people get up to next!! ;)
Well what about...

yeah I can't think of anything.

-edit-
It might have something to do with the hatchery, I dunno. It wasn't really warm enough for me to want to go in the water anyway, so I didn't get more details.
Hi!