McNeil Shelter on Borrowed Time :(

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Guy

Re: McNeil Shelter on Borrowed Time :(

Post by Guy » July 4th, 2018, 3:53 pm

I agree that this is probably a lost cause :(

As for a proper fix requiring a complete dismantle and rebuild there are bowing brick and stone wall houses and barns all over the UK. Companies come in run bars and bracing through and its done. More complicated for a house but a friend of mine had a 2 story barn done and it was no big deal. Nor did it cost more than a typical re roofing would.

I've a lot more love for the McNeil shelter than I do for Wilderness Watch.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Water

Post by Water » July 5th, 2018, 10:43 am

i wasn't exactly serious about kwikcrete..

...mostly that if there was a viable adhoc (or proper) fix that could be completed.. it would be worth doing no questions asked instead of daring to even touch the quicksand/morass that going through the FS would invite. Certainly not a kosher thing to alter the structure un-permitted etc but at the end of the day depending upon one's moral/ethical reasoning.. to go the FS way could be just a step behind trying to kick it down and cause more damage. Imagine if someone had reroofed the sandy guard station? would they have torn it off?
Feel Free to Feel Free

drm

Post by drm » July 8th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Most folks here are focusing on wilderness regs, but I'm not sure if wilderness regs or historic structure regs would contribute the most CF to the bureaucracy, though I suppose the wilderness side is more likely to file suit.

And while I can understand some people's desire to go up and make their own fix if they think they know what it needs, note that if the structure is no longer considered properly historic, it just might get torn down.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » July 9th, 2018, 2:39 pm

It's still outlasted most of the others.

Elk Cove - taken out by avalanche in the 1950s
Gnarl Ridge - hit by lightening in the 1970s or 80s
Paradise Park - tree fall in 1992 or 1993

Cooper Spur and Cairn Basin are the other two survivors.