How "OregonHiker" is this forum?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Aimless

Re: How "OregonHiker" is this forum?

Post by Aimless » July 3rd, 2018, 7:00 am

kepPNW wrote:
July 3rd, 2018, 6:41 am
And people seriously wondered by Vancouver folks felt excluded, by name, with the new domain. :roll:
As I see it, not only do you often hike in Oregon, you most definitely want to talk about hiking in Oregon, so you are very much welcome here under that general umbrella. You may live in Washington state, but you're as much an Oregon hiker as a Washington hiker. Most of us are comfortable wearing innumerable labels that define us from different perspectives. Just as being a hiker doesn't exclude a person from being a mountain biker or a rock climber (or a dentist or a sports fan or a parent), being a Washingtonian doesn't exclude you from being an Oregon hiker.

drm

Post by drm » July 3rd, 2018, 7:13 am

kepPNW wrote:
And people seriously wondered by Vancouver folks felt excluded, by name, with the new domain. :roll:
I wondered. I lived in White Salmon at the time. nwhikers.net is a more inclusive name, but I have never heard of 80% of the trips reported on there and rarely do they ever respond to any posts I did there. To me, the domain is just letters. What matters is the people on it. If we had all the same people and posts but called it timbuktoohikers.org, it wouldn't mater to me. But I understand some people felt otherwise, to each his own. And since I think the name change was done to entice more Oregonians from other parts of the state, those making the change apparently felt it matters too. I well understand the attitude towards Portland in the rest of the state.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 3rd, 2018, 8:34 am

For me, the umbilical cord to Portland, OR is just a fact of life living in Vancouver. I feel no more excluded from OregonHikers as from OMSI or from OHSU. I read (well used to read) the Oregonian, watch the Oregon governor's race during election season, and root for the Oregon Ducks religiously each football season. Personally I feel more excluded from Washington stuff actually - which is so Seattle/Olympia/Tacoma centric. Places like Spokane and Vancouver are afterthoughts. But I'm not a native, so maybe I'm not typical.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 3rd, 2018, 8:46 am

Aimless wrote:
July 3rd, 2018, 7:00 am
kepPNW wrote:
As I see it, not only do you often hike in Oregon, you most definitely want to talk about hiking in Oregon, so you are very much welcome here under that general umbrella. You may live in Washington state, but you're as much an Oregon hiker as a Washington hiker. Most of us are comfortable wearing innumerable labels that define us from different perspectives.
As am I, generally speaking. But the reality is, despite living in Washington I do live within the Portland media market, as well as the more tightly-defined Portland-Vancouver metropolitan area. As did perhaps 25% of the membership at that time. So the old label was far more descriptive, welcoming, and embracing, while the new one was intentionally exclusionary for a non-insignificant share of folks here at the time. I know those living in Oregon just shake their head and wonder at that statement, which is typical of majority perspectives when minorities express alarm at what's being taken for granted. Don't want to go through the whole thing again. Still stings. Just sayin'...
jeffstatt wrote:
July 3rd, 2018, 8:34 am
Personally I feel more excluded from Washington stuff actually - which is so Seattle/Olympia/Tacoma centric. Places like Spokane and Vancouver are afterthoughts.
Yeah, as both you and Dean both point out, we're already excluded from the major media market in Washington, and Portland really is our home town for that sort of thing. I think that serves well to make some of my points, thanks. (I'm not native, either, but have spent decades on each side of the state line.)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 3rd, 2018, 8:51 am

Jesus Christ, let it go already. :roll:

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » July 3rd, 2018, 9:03 am

kepPNW wrote:
July 3rd, 2018, 8:46 am
So the old label was far more descriptive, welcoming, and embracing, while the new one was intentionally exclusionary for a non-insignificant share of folks here at the time. I know those living in Oregon just shake their head and wonder at that statement, which is typical of majority perspectives when minorities express alarm at what's being taken for granted.
#metoo, Karl. #WAhikersmatter #TR_equality #trailsuffrage

Wait - what are we talking about? :roll:
adamschneider wrote:
July 3rd, 2018, 8:51 am
:lol: :lol:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 3rd, 2018, 9:44 am

adamschneider wrote:
July 3rd, 2018, 8:51 am
Because you're constitutionally incapable of ignoring that which does not please you? :roll:

Naw, more fun to see how little it takes to feed the trolls... :lol:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Water

Post by Water » July 3rd, 2018, 11:11 am

did someone say permits????!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

:twisted:
Feel Free to Feel Free

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » July 3rd, 2018, 11:51 am