Crater Lake & Klamath Falls Suggestions Needed

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
NickingUp

Crater Lake & Klamath Falls Suggestions Needed

Post by NickingUp » June 13th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Hi ! I'm visiting in September. I've heard about Crater Lake and seen the beautiful photos from there. I wanna see it with my own eyes. I'm planning to spend 1 week around Crater Lake and if it's possible I'd like to visit Klamath Falls.

I looked up some places where I could base around there and come up with this list of the best campground around the 2 area https://professionalcamping.com/best-cr ... e-camping/ all three recommendations around Crater Lake looks great I'm not sure which one is the best option. Has any of you camped at any of these places? Your opinion and experience will be really helpful.

On another note, according to the official site https://www.nps.gov/crla/planyourvisit/hours.htm the Rim drives should be open when I get there. I wonder what the road condition would be and what type of car would be the best. I plan to rent a space wagon for this trip, not sure if it would require something tougher like 4x4?

Thank you!!!
Wander around, look up to the sky and let my feet feel the earth.

adamschneider

Re: Crater Lake & Klamath Falls Suggestions Needed

Post by adamschneider » June 13th, 2018, 10:50 pm

All the public roads in the National Park are paved, and they will all be open in September — unless there are nearby fires.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » June 14th, 2018, 5:13 am

You didn't say, but when in September matters - Labor Day Weekend is usually REAL busy - it gets quieter as the month goes on. All roads will be open then and a regular 2WD car is fine, but expect traffic, especially lumbering RVs.

The Mazama Village campground is the closest to all of the park's attractions and pretty nice too. They allow reservations which will be essential if you plan to visit anywhere near the Labor Day Weekend. Unless we have fires again, expect to see a lot of people around the lake in September.

Take the boat trip around the lake and/or to Wizard Island - a completely different way to see the lake. For hiking, try Union Peak, Crater Peak, Mount Scott (amazing views!), or Garfield Peak (TR).

Not sure why you'd want to visit Klamath Falls itself, but Lava Beds National Monument, which is not far south of town, is absolutely worth a visit. The wildlife refuges south of K Falls are also something to see.

NickingUp

Post by NickingUp » June 14th, 2018, 7:08 am

@adamschneider
Good to hear that. Thank you!

@VanMarmot
I wanna give you a hug. This really help narrow down my search :) Thank you so much.
Why Klamath Falls? Its something that appears on some sites as attractions and it's only not far south of the lake so I thought I might as well visit.
Wander around, look up to the sky and let my feet feel the earth.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » June 14th, 2018, 11:19 am

Even if you don't take the boat ride around the lake, I'd say hiking down to Cleetwood Cove is a must. It's the only place in the Park you can get down to lake level. Cliff diving into the lake is a popular activity down there.

Sun Notch is a very short trail with a fantastic view of Phantom Ship.

Pinnacles Overlook is different than any of the other trails in the Park. No lake views but interesting rock formations.

Annie Creek Canyon is a pleasant stroll through the woods accessed through the campground.

Second previous recommendations, gotta hit one or more of the high points like Garfield, Watchmen or Scott.

Also gotta check out the lodge and surrounding area.

There are a number of wonderful short hikes outside the Park along the Upper Rogue River.

Just north of Crater Lake is Mt. Thielsen. Even if you aren't into scrambling you can get to a saddle about 100 ft. below the summit. Interesting up close views of a jagged peak w/ various types of volcanic rock.

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » June 15th, 2018, 12:57 am

National Parks have some variation on rules. Crater Lake has dispersed camping. So unless you really want to car camp, you can set up a tent camp about anywhere. The one thing they ask is to not camp within a mile of the rim. You just have to get the permit at back country station near lodge. I do a lot of car camping at my age but you can park and just wander off cross country as well. The east side has a lot of open space for great skies at night. The one thing to remember is volcanic soils are porous and water can be harder to find that late in the year. Check on springs. there are some. Mount Scott has an incredible view of both the lake and off into the Klamath basin. If you want that mirror image the lake has, get to your spot early. The winds pick up and even by mid morning the lake has ripples.

The Cascades _ Crater Lake National Park .jpg
Early morning view.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » June 15th, 2018, 12:24 pm

NickingUp wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 7:08 am
Why Klamath Falls? Its something that appears on some sites as attractions and it's only not far south of the lake so I thought I might as well visit.
I also have no idea why you'd want to visit Klamath Falls! Here are some other ideas nearby:

Lava Beds, as was already mentioned, is a crazy cool place to visit. Lots of lava tubes of all shapes and sizes to explore.

The Rogue River has a bunch of nice trails, waterfalls and camping.

Tom's of camping at Diamond Lake, which can serve as a base for Mt. Bailey or Mt. Thielsen.

Have a great trip :)
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

maobie15

Post by maobie15 » June 26th, 2018, 2:11 pm

I LOVE Crater Lake! Before I visited, I couldn't understand what made it so great...but I'm a total convert now!

For camping:
Mazama Village (inside the park)- you can reserve ahead of time, otherwise a pretty standard site. It is close to some food and there are showers, if that is your kind of thing.
Lost Creek (inside the park)- tents only, the ranger told me it rarely fills up, even on busy weekends. I didn't stay here, so I can't vouch for it.
Theilsen View (outside the park, not sure how far)- cool lake that you could boat/swim in with great views of Mt. Theilsen. I've stayed here but didn't go to Crater Lake, but it felt very close by.

Hiking:
Cleetwood Cove- this is the only trail that will take you down to the water. It is a MUST DO! And I highly recommend jumping off the cliff into the water. It will take your breath away because it is so cold, but it is amazing!
Mt. Scott- great views and cool fire lookout. I recommend doing this after a boat tour (more on that below) because the tour guide should give you more info on the area.

To Do:
-Eat a meal at the lodge or get a coffee and drink it on the porch
-BOAT TOUR! I wish I would have done the boat tour out to Wizard Island, but they were sold out already (you can then hike to the top or swim). But the boat tour by itself was awesome!

And just to note, the East Rim of Rim Drive is closed both Saturday, September 8th and 15th for the annual Ride-the-Rim event.
http://ridetherimoregon.com/

Get up early for sunrise and to see the stillness of the water! And if you are there during a new moon phase, the stars are incredible!

Have fun!
Follow me on Instagram: meg.john815

“Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” –Albert Einstein