Loowit Trail

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
K.Wagner

Loowit Trail

Post by K.Wagner » June 2nd, 2018, 8:33 pm

Today I tried to hike west on the Loowit Trail from the Ape Canyon Trail. I got stopped by really steep snow on the south slope of the Muddy River Canyon. There was no way I was going to climb that snow field without my ice ax.

I am thinking of trying it from June Lake in the next couple of weeks. I am worried about crossing the streams, including the outflow from the Shoe String Glacier.

Has anyone hiked that section in late June? Are there any tent sites on that section?

Thanks
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Chip Down

Re: Loowit Trail

Post by Chip Down » June 3rd, 2018, 12:17 pm

Is the road open? USFS still* says it's gated at Marble, with heavy snow on road, but I'm skeptical. Seems like it should be melted by now. Adding to my skepticism is the statement that they go up there several times a week to check on conditions. Nonsense. Anybody with years of experience can look at the snowpack on a particular day, watch the weather in the following two days, and make a fairly good estimate of remaining snow. I just can't fathom that they're really going up there several times a week, for several weeks in a row, to see if it's clear yet.

* [edit: Looks like they just opened the gate 6/1]

I'm waiting for a June Lake start. I know it's only a mile past the gate, but I figure if there's really that much snow on the road, maybe I should wait a little longer.

Incidentally, KW, I imagine you've done that hike before? It looks like a lot of fun. I may have done it before, but so long ago that I can't remember, so it will be all new to me if I do it again. One of the great things about getting older. :D

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » June 3rd, 2018, 5:05 pm

The road is very open, all the way to the Lava Canyon TH. There are bits of snow along the road. I didn't really have any snow on the Ape Canyon Trail until the junction with the Loowit Trail. Then it was about 50% snow cover. I don't expect the snow bank that stopped me to melt off for several weeks (see picture below).

I have never done the section between June Lake & Ape Canyon trail. I have always gone north to the Plains of Abraham.

I plan on doing the bare ridge on this side of the Shoe String Glacier.
13-MSH, 8140 summits-S.jpg
View at about 3,800 feet
Everyone went left & over the hump. No one crossed this snow field.
26-Ape Canyon Traverse-S.jpg
Ape Canyon Trail snow drift
The view looking SW on the Loowit Trail & the snow bank that stopped me.
32-Loowit snow bank-S.jpg
View across the Muddy River at snow field
Kelly

Skamania 231

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 3rd, 2018, 5:43 pm

I plan on doing the bare ridge on this side of the Shoe String Glacier.
I considered doing that, but there was so much nice terrain on the other side that I did that instead (I was coming from June, and didn't see the point in crossing the canyon if it wasn't necessary).

I assume that pic is from your recent trip, not from your archives. Pics of MSH in the last few weeks make me think it's about ripe. Alpine hiking is my primary interest, so I guess it's time to set aside the low-altitude stuff and get serious about some adventure. :)

I hope you'll post a TR. I'm curious to see how that ridge goes.

[edit: damn, I just realized I'm a bit of a geek if I can look at that pic, with its jumbled random mix of snow and rock, and know exactly what route you have in mind :lol: ]

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » June 4th, 2018, 9:17 am

I am going for the 2 summits (8,140 feet) just east of the Shoe String Glacier canyon. I looked at the terrain really hard to see if there was any reasonable way to do the HP summit & the 2 summits that I need in one trip. The canyon is just too steep & too deep!
Kelly

Skamania 231

cfm

Post by cfm » June 7th, 2018, 5:51 pm

Hey Kelly, I've done that section in the snow in June. I stashed my bike at the Ape Canyon TH and drove back to start at June Lake. I lost the trail several times but found it again. Canyon crossing was a bit tricky with the stiff snowfields. Bring your ice axe! It was pretty wide open in the middle, I think you will find a good tent site no problem. I'm sure there is less snow this year than 2010:
Loowit trail in June.jpg
June 2010

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » June 8th, 2018, 9:25 am

Thanks,

Looks like you had much more snow on your trip. Not having any concept of how big the outflows are, my big concern was crossing them. As you know, on a warm day, the water level can really jump and turn pretty ferocious. I guess at the worst, I would just be trapped on the far side until midnight
Kelly

Skamania 231

Raz2017

Post by Raz2017 » June 18th, 2018, 5:25 am

Im planning to do the loop this coming weekend june 23 through 25th. Any uodate on trail conditions or if climbers bivoac is open?

Chazz

Post by Chazz » June 18th, 2018, 9:00 am

I'm looking at doing the Loowit the same weekend (6/23-6/24). If anyone has recent updates on any segment, it would really be appreciated if posted.

Thanks.

Raz2017

Post by Raz2017 » June 19th, 2018, 8:33 pm

Just read the road to climbers bivoac is opening wednesday. Other than that have no idea what trail conditions will be. Looks like you are doing a two day. Did that last year counter clockwise out of june lake. Was a fun trip but this time i want to have the time to enjoy it vs hauling along. You heading clockwise or counter clockwise? My only real area of concern is the toutle river crossing and how high/swift it will be flowing.