Paradise Park from Timberline Lodge in late June

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
hikinglover4life

Re: Paradise Park from Timberline Lodge in late June

Post by hikinglover4life » June 8th, 2018, 8:51 am

I'm quickly losing confidence about being able to get to Paradise Park in 2.5 weeks (with little snow and a clear trail). Base depth still 50" at Timberline and looks like more snow coming next couple days. Seems like it's time to find an alternative.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 10th, 2018, 7:06 pm

Don't give up yet. I've heard encouraging reports on that route (seems to me I saw a posted trip report, but can't find it now). I understand the canyon is bare.

As for the new snow, yeah, that's crazy, but it happens. It's snowing as I type this, but a balmy 32F, and only 4" in the last 24 hrs. A few days of late-spring heat can strip that right off. My guess is you'll be fine. Check the Timberline Lodge live cameras in the next few days; I bet you'll see things change fast. And watch for trip reports posted here. PP is popular, so I bet people will be reporting, and I bet the remaining snow will have a good boot track to follow. Good luck!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 12th, 2018, 11:02 am

We got to Paradise Park on June 2 without any serious trouble, but we did have a GPS track to follow through the woods near Timberline.

Timberline "Trail," near the lodge, June 2.

Snow was very deep at first, but basically gone from Little Zigzag onward. In 2.5 weeks, it should be a piece of cake, and there will at least be bootprints to follow near the lodge.

Little Zigzag Canyon, June 2

The snow that fell last weekend is negligible, and will probably melt today if not yesterday. Once over there, snow was already melted from the higher ridgelines, and only piled up in the low-lying areas. Much of that will also be gone by end of June.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

hikinglover4life

Post by hikinglover4life » June 12th, 2018, 12:57 pm

kepPNW wrote:
June 12th, 2018, 11:02 am
We got to Paradise Park on June 2 without any serious trouble, but we did have a GPS track to follow through the woods near Timberline.

Timberline "Trail," near the lodge, June 2.

Snow was very deep at first, but basically gone from Little Zigzag onward. In 2.5 weeks, it should be a piece of cake, and there will at least be bootprints to follow near the lodge.

Little Zigzag Canyon, June 2

The snow that fell last weekend is negligible, and will probably melt today if not yesterday. Once over there, snow was already melted from the higher ridgelines, and only piled up in the low-lying areas. Much of that will also be gone by end of June.
Thanks! You're giving me hope! What kind of footwear did you use? Will I need snowshoes or crampons? Or, can I make it with regular hiking boots?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 12th, 2018, 1:57 pm

hikinglover4life wrote:
June 12th, 2018, 12:57 pm
Thanks! You're giving me hope! What kind of footwear did you use? Will I need snowshoes or crampons? Or, can I make it with regular hiking boots?
I think both of us put on microspikes for that portion of the Timberline Trail that was under snow. They really weren't necessary, and only lent the traction needed to move a bit swifter and with more assurance. That said, I carry microspikes in the high country, nearly any time of year. Really sucks to be cutoff from somewhere you want to go by some silly snowfield. By the end of June, I'm almost sure there will be no need for them just to get to Paradise Park, but if you wanted to get up higher than that, they may be handy. I did strap on some "trail crampons" up around 7100' (we were headed above 8000'), just because I had new boots and wanted to be sure all my equipment worked with them...

Testing the new boots with the old trail crampons, June 2.

There will be absolutely no need for snowshoes. The snow is entirely consolidated now, with virtually no sinkage.
Karl

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 12th, 2018, 4:07 pm

Weather outlook for next week is HOT (90+)

bghiker

Post by bghiker » June 13th, 2018, 12:14 am

It never fails....whenever someone wants to know about trail conditions, regardless of the time of year, Karl has the answers...He's my hero. I hope when I grow up, I am just like him....

hikinglover4life

Post by hikinglover4life » June 13th, 2018, 5:45 am

kepPNW wrote:
June 12th, 2018, 1:57 pm
hikinglover4life wrote:
June 12th, 2018, 12:57 pm
I think both of us put on microspikes for that portion of the Timberline Trail that was under snow. They really weren't necessary, and only lent the traction needed to move a bit swifter and with more assurance. That said, I carry microspikes in the high country, nearly any time of year. Really sucks to be cutoff from somewhere you want to go by some silly snowfield. By the end of June, I'm almost sure there will be no need for them just to get to Paradise Park, but if you wanted to get up higher than that, they may be handy. I did strap on some "trail crampons" up around 7100' (we were headed above 8000'), just because I had new boots and wanted to be sure all my equipment worked with them...

Testing the new boots with the old trail crampons, June 2.

There will be absolutely no need for snowshoes. The snow is entirely consolidated now, with virtually no sinkage.
We're going to give it a go! Two weeks out now. What's the best way to get a GPS track? Using AllTrails or another app?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 13th, 2018, 5:50 am

1tracksmthood.gpx
(160.57 KiB) Downloaded 183 times

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 13th, 2018, 6:12 am

hikinglover4life wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 5:45 am
We're going to give it a go! Two weeks out now. What's the best way to get a GPS track? Using AllTrails or another app?
First place I search for local stuff is gpsfly... https://www.google.com/search?q=paradis ... gpsfly.org

Here's one of mine that shows most of the main trails to/around that area. Once you get to PP, you can really just wander. That day, I went up and tagged Mississippi Head, before dropping back down for another traipse through the flower show.

bghiker wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 12:14 am
It never fails....whenever someone wants to know about trail conditions, regardless of the time of year, Karl has the answers...He's my hero. I hope when I grow up, I am just like him....
Awwww... :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Karl