Paradise Park from Timberline Lodge in late June

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
hikinglover4life

Paradise Park from Timberline Lodge in late June

Post by hikinglover4life » May 22nd, 2018, 1:44 pm

Hi all- I'm new to the forum but had it highly recommended. The missus and I are planning to stay at Timberline Lodge for a night followed by an overnight backpacking trip for our anniversary. We're going in late June. Anybody have any guesses on how the snow will be in Zigzag canyon (hiking) on the PCT in late June this year? I know the snowfall is down a little this year but not sure if it will be clear then. Trying to decide on an alternative hike if this is unavailable. Would love some ideas if anybody recommends a snow free overnight backpacking trip (10-15 miles total) within 30-45 minutes of Timberline that would be good for husband/wife trip (good views, solitude, not dangerous, etc).

Thanks!

retired jerry

Re: Paradise Park from Timberline Lodge in late June

Post by retired jerry » May 22nd, 2018, 4:11 pm

There will probably be a fair amount of snow late June, especially when you get to Paradise Park. The trail goes into and out of a couple canyons and there will likely be some steep snowy places that can be very difficult if it's icy. Check back a little ahead of time.

You could do something on the Zigzag ridge, like Burnt Lake or Cast Lake. There's a great spot just west of East Zigzag Mt.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 22nd, 2018, 6:54 pm

These "what will it be like" topics are fun. :D

My bet is it will be clear, except possibly a few patches left, which will only be scary if there's exposure and the snow is slippery/icy.

Jerry is right, check back later.

There's so much fun terrain around Timberline, and by late June the ski operations are restricted to a small zone, so the crowds are pretty much gone. If you fail at getting to PP, it will still be fun and scenic, so I say go for it! The main dividing point will be the ZigZag canyon (not to be confused with Little ZZ Canyon). There's really no stopping in there; you either stop before ZZ, or get to the other side and continue on. So when you get to the overlook into that deep canyon, that's kinda where you need to make your decision (because if you drop into that canyon and later give up, it will be demoralizing having to climb back out).

If the weather is bad (which it sometimes still is around here in late June) maybe plan a day hike or two, maybe one day east and one day west.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 22nd, 2018, 7:12 pm

but, if you don't get to Paradise, camping isn't real good

if I was better at poetry I could say that better :)

hikinglover4life

Post by hikinglover4life » May 22nd, 2018, 7:23 pm

Thanks guys. Very helpful. Couple followups:

I) If I get to Zigzag Canyon overlook and it looks tough in the canyon, where could I go from there to camp and still make a day of it with a decent hike?
II) Like the Burnt Lake suggestion, was also thinking about McNeil Point or Cairn Basin (Eden Park), leaving from Top Spur? Will snow be cleared in that area? How bad is the drive to get up to Top Spur?

Thanks!

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 22nd, 2018, 7:48 pm

retired jerry wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 7:12 pm
but, if you don't get to Paradise, camping isn't real good

if I was better at poetry I could say that better :)
Jerry, I disagree!
Beautiful scenery, probably plenty of water, lots of soft ground. Sure, there aren't a lot of "traditional" campsites, but make your own! (in an environmentally sensitive way, of course)

I thought about posting this in iambic pentameter, but decided it wasn't worth the effort.

I'm amused at the idea of Jerry and me bickering about where the OP should set up camp. :lol:

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 22nd, 2018, 8:03 pm

hikinglover4life wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 7:23 pm
Thanks guys. Very helpful. Couple followups:

I) If I get to Zigzag Canyon overlook and it looks tough in the canyon, where could I go from there to camp and still make a day of it with a decent hike?
II) Like the Burnt Lake suggestion, was also thinking about McNeil Point or Cairn Basin (Eden Park), leaving from Top Spur? Will snow be cleared in that area? How bad is the drive to get up to Top Spur?

Thanks!
I) As you hike towards ZZ, just keep an eye out for good sites. From the edge of ZZ, I'd go up, up, up, for fantastic views, with gobs of good places to settle in. But I know most people don't want to camp above treeline, so maybe that's not your cup of tea.

II) Roads are never plowed. Should be clear though, I imagine. Almost any road will likely be clear by late june, except maybe Cloud Cap.
Roads aren't bad on Mt Hood. A Civic can get to most any TH. Not always fun or easy, but nothing that will leave car parts on the road behind you.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 23rd, 2018, 4:25 am

good idea Chip

McNeil and Cairn Basin similar to Paradise Park, snow wise

hikinglover4life

Post by hikinglover4life » May 24th, 2018, 5:44 am

Chip Down wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 8:03 pm
I) As you hike towards ZZ, just keep an eye out for good sites. From the edge of ZZ, I'd go up, up, up, for fantastic views, with gobs of good places to settle in. But I know most people don't want to camp above treeline, so maybe that's not your cup of tea.

II) Roads are never plowed. Should be clear though, I imagine. Almost any road will likely be clear by late june, except maybe Cloud Cap.
Roads aren't bad on Mt Hood. A Civic can get to most any TH. Not always fun or easy, but nothing that will leave car parts on the road behind you.
Thanks again guys!

Just to be clear, are you saying to take the PCT to ZZ Canyon and if it looks tough going through the canyon, just go off trail and hike up along the canyon? Camp in any open area? is that allowed?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 24th, 2018, 6:45 am

I think if you get to the ZZ canyon overlook, it will be easy getting down into the canyon, and up the other side.

The problem will be on the other side as you start going through PP

You can camp anywhere (once you get past the ski area). There's a small stream across the trail and an official campsite 1/2 mile before the ZZ canyon overlook.

Or, just walk either up or down from the trail. Right at the overlook, there's a use trail that goes up, that might be good