How to Build a Trail?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Luv2Kayak

How to Build a Trail?

Post by Luv2Kayak » April 29th, 2018, 9:00 am

Hi, all! Are there any good, basic "how to" videos online that could help me in recreating the packed dirt hiking trails I love so much and have always simply taken for granted? I have Googled about some basic tools I would need (McLeod, Pulaski) but have no idea how to use them correctly. I need to learn about slough and berm, etc.

We purchased a tiny wooded piece of land adjoining our lot, less than half an acre, and a younger, stronger friend has cleared enough brush to walk through... SO exciting! We have THREE trail locations cleared enough to walk through! Woohoo! :-) But before we (and the beloved neighborhood dogs and sensitive paws) really get to enjoy our little "forest" we need to make those trails NICE.

This has really opened up my eyes to the amazing work done by all the great volunteers who have participated in making trails -- never more so than now, with the need to rebuild after the Eagle Creek Fire!

I'm so sorry for having taken all those lovely packed dirt trails for granted, especially the ones close to home, at Beacon Rock State Park! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :-)

“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” -- John Muir

sgyoung

Re: How to Build a Trail?

Post by sgyoung » April 29th, 2018, 11:15 am

The local groups that have been working on fire repair often run workshops that might be helpful.

TKO has tread school, for instance, that might worth looking into. Link here:https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tko-trail- ... 96a74d6610

PCTA has a similar program too: https://www.pcta.org/volunteer/trail-skills-college/

Sorry if you've already seen these, btw. Nothing worse than people suggesting things you already know about.

Luv2Kayak

Post by Luv2Kayak » April 29th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Thank you for that... good info! And had I not already seen at least some of that online in my Googling, I'm sure there are others who haven't, so it's always good to share! :-)

However, I'm not of the age or physical shape where I can readily participate in these kinds of work parties, unfortunately!

I mainly want to learn how to do this at least somewhat properly so that I can share the info with the young and strong man helping us build trails! Would actually love to also hire some experienced help, but not sure how I'd go about it, seeing as how most of the "graduates" of these trail building courses are probably pretty busy working on trails impacted by the Eagle Creek Fire.

At this point, an instructional video or two about the basics of trail building would be so helpful... like, how does one properly use a McLeod and/or a Pulaski, etc.

I'm so excited about roaming around our little patch of "wilderness" on packed dirt without sharp things sticking out underfoot! The neighborhood pups would also appreciate some proper trail building on that patch! :-)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 29th, 2018, 1:48 pm

Just for anyone reading this

I've done TKO projects. Any level of skill or ability is helpful. Many projects will include doing just what you're interested in. Nothing like seeing it actually done to learn how to do it.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 29th, 2018, 2:53 pm

Quick google search https://youtu.be/TLw5j1Q8_Ac

You want to remove all the organic matter from the trail. Leaves, branches, roots,...

If a trail goes directly downhill then it will turn into a stream and get washed out.

Best to have the trail traverse the slope - stay at the exact same elevation

If you go half way between straight downhill, and traverse, that's as steep as it can go without washing out.

You want the trail to be sloping sideways at a small angle, a few degrees, so water will flow downhill, then across the trail, then continue downhill.

Uphill from the trail it can be pretty steep. Dig out that material and throw it on the downhill side of the trail.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 30th, 2018, 8:39 am

Thanks, I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would respond :)

Lurch

Post by Lurch » April 30th, 2018, 9:01 am

All those resources are probably overkill for these purposes, and they're mainly about dealing with erosion and water management. If those aren't factors, the easiest way to make a trail is to just walk the same path! Look at how many user trails are/were out there, none of those were designed or built, and some are visible still decades later... It's also kinda telling what sort of long lasting impact mankind can have :shock:

I wouldn't recommend blazing trees anymore, that's gone out of favor for good reason (although old blazes are still visible!) but you can get reflective medallions to put in trees. Another option that I might suggest would be to build out an orienteering course. It may take a bit more work and educating, but getting little ones interesting in the treasure hunt of map and compass navigation could have some long lasting impacts in their outdoor comfort and adventures.