Central Cascades Wilderness Strategies Update

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Bosterson

Re: Central Cascades Wilderness Strategies Update

Post by Bosterson » May 18th, 2018, 8:04 pm

Comments are due Monday! The Access Fund has an online form to make it easier to contact the USFS with your thoughts about their plan for Central Oregon.

https://www.accessfund.org/take-action/ ... ing-access
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Water

Post by Water » May 18th, 2018, 9:52 pm

does during the day monday count then? like 11:59pm monday is deadline?
Feel Free to Feel Free

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 19th, 2018, 5:24 am

"For more information about the Open Houses, the public can contact Beth Peer, Deschutes National Forest (Bend) at 541-383-5554 or Matt Peterson, Willamette National Forest (Eugene) at 541-225-6421."

You could call them and give them your feedback verbally

Sometimes, sending feedback digitally can be easier to ignore. People can send mass digital feedback, or bots, the FS doesn't really know. If it's someone on the phone it's harder to fake.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » May 19th, 2018, 12:55 pm

retired jerry wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 5:24 am
Sometimes, sending feedback digitally can be easier to ignore. People can send mass digital feedback, or bots, the FS doesn't really know. If it's someone on the phone it's harder to fake.
That may be true for contacting elected representatives, but this is the official public comment period for the proposal. The comments become part of the public record for the decision making process. They need to be submitted in writing via email or paper mail as Jess has noted above.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 19th, 2018, 2:16 pm

okay, definitely fill that out

I bet that if they get a lot of irate phone calls that will effect them

Also, contact your congressmen like someone else said

If they say they will only accept feedback on that form, and also only alternatives #2 to #5, I do not accept that. If they get a lot of irate people coming from every direction it may be helpful :twisted:

jessbee

Post by jessbee » May 19th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Jerry, you can call our things you like/don't like about the alternatives. Like the fact that they are considering hardly anything besides quotas. Getting any comment in before the deadline means that you'll also be able to chime in when it's time to appeal the decision (if necessary). If you do NOT comment now, you won't have a say later.

It's very easy to find inconsistencies in their proposals, so do point those out. And challenge their lack of effort to try other, less drastic changes before rolling this out.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

jessbee

Post by jessbee » May 19th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Water wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 9:52 pm
does during the day monday count then? like 11:59pm monday is deadline?
Good question, I'd just be sure to get them in by Sunday evening so you don't miss your opportunity.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 19th, 2018, 4:59 pm

My comments were sent a few minutes ago. The link provided by Bosterson, above, did make the process of composing and sending a comment much simpler.

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » May 20th, 2018, 2:12 pm

I do find trash based on where I go. It seems that if I go into a place like lakes around Roaring River Wilderness and the roads like Frazier turnaround, I see lots more trash. High Cascades with less road access little to nothing. Well, almost. Those obnoxious fire rings about everywhere.
So finish of rant;

I'd like to thank those posting this important open comment period on the future of the Central Cascades Wilderness Project. So bear with me and I'll repeat something I've brought up before. I was living on Mount Hood back in late 70s and early 80s. It was a time when Gifford Pinchot forest was looking at what do with Indian Heaven. Public comment was open at the time and I submitted the usual wilderness request in my "non technical terms" as to impact etc. Anyways Mount St. Helens erupted during the process and Gifford Pinchot sent me a comment period notice on Mount St. Helens. I contacted the Mountaineers and they suggested the Monument idea. So that is what I did. The forest service sent me a publication at the end of the comment period based on environmental impact, etc. What surprised me was that a total of about 200 individuals and organizations had been the entire input. Now maybe that sounds high, but to me a volcano sitting outside of Portland metro would guarantee a LOT more input. My point is that yes, your comment counts and it may count more than you can imagine. Hopefully lazy people like me will get this comment off today on the last day? to do so.

Charley

Post by Charley » May 20th, 2018, 3:27 pm

I just wrote them a stem-winder about how bad these ideas are. In my research, I noticed the following:

Mount Jefferson Wilderness
Minto Lake Trail: Decommission 4
miles and proposed reconstruction of
this trail along new route that would be
4-5 miles.
Brush Creek Trail: Decommission 4.1
miles of trail.
Sugar Pine Ridge Trail: Decommission
6.9 miles.
Jefferson Lake Trail: Change 9.1 miles
from Class 3 to Class 1
Mount Washington Wilderness
Dry Creek Trail: Decommission 4.8
miles

They're talking about how crowded these Wildernesses are, and, in the same document, talking about their plans to decommission 15 miles of trail. Do they not see the irony? This drives me crazy.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.