Central Cascades Wilderness Strategies Update

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Charley

Re: Central Cascades Wilderness Strategies Update

Post by Charley » May 20th, 2018, 3:39 pm

Also, I found this nugget:

"A potential scenario for accommodating hunting use would be to allow hunters with a hunting license and certain
tags, around the dates of their season, to enter these wilderness areas without wilderness
permit."

Great. So hunters could get a pass. I've got no problem with hunting, per se, but can someone tell me why a hunter, who may legally take a large animal out of the Wilderness, should be allowed greater freedom than a hiker, who may take nothing legally from the Wilderness. If the whole point is to reduce impact, how is this regulation even being considered???
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

jessbee

Re: Central Cascades Wilderness Strategies Update

Post by jessbee » May 20th, 2018, 4:45 pm

Charley wrote:
May 20th, 2018, 3:27 pm
They're talking about how crowded these Wildernesses are, and, in the same document, talking about their plans to decommission 15 miles of trail. Do they not see the irony? This drives me crazy.
There are lots of inconsistencies in the Forest Service's proposals. I hope people are calling them out in the comments.

Also, to everyone that's been reading this: even if your comment isn't perfect, it's better than nothing. It's your ticket to an appeal, if the decision if not what you'd like. No comment, no appeal for you. So get that comment in!
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos