Timberline MTB Park - Judge Denies Motion from Cons. Groups

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
retired jerry

Re: Timberline MTB Park - Judge Denies Motion from Cons. Gro

Post by retired jerry » April 7th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Windmills are cool too

Going around Mt Hood and the Three Sisters you go through burned areas, those are also cool

I can see how a lot of people don't see that though :lol:

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 7th, 2018, 1:14 pm

retired jerry wrote:Windmills are cool too
Windmills are definitely cool. Not only do I think they look interesting, but they proclaim "clean energy"! Bring 'em on.

(Yes, I know they take out a few birds. Let's hope they're taking out the dumb ones, leaving only those whose offspring will be smart enough to avoid windmills.)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 7th, 2018, 1:30 pm

they need to research that carefully. Make sure they're doing what they can to minimize, especially for birds that are endangered.

Guy

Post by Guy » April 7th, 2018, 3:13 pm

retired jerry wrote:Walking around the mountain is about 40 miles. 1 mile of it is the Timberline Lodge area. Maybe 1.5.
Aesthetically, I think it's sort of cool to see the developed area. Tourists in sandals. Ski lifts. The cell tower...
And there's maybe another 1.5 miles of tourists wandering around from the lodge. Many international people.
And then it's back to relative peace and quiet
I think it's nice those people get to experience that, and there are lots of wilder areas for me
They should carefully study and mitigate any environmental impact
I know what you mean about trash, there's lots of detritus from the ski area you don't see other places
Dammit Jerry we are in agreement again :lol: :lol:
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 7th, 2018, 4:24 pm

two libertarians

maobie15

Post by maobie15 » April 10th, 2018, 10:03 am

In regards to more trash because there are mountain bikers: I think hikers leave WAAAY more trash behind. Mountain bikers tend to be moving quicker, therefore not snacking while riding. Maybe there would be more at the top of a downhill run (where there could be garbage cans near the lifts) or at the trailhead, but not necessarily on the trail. Plus, mountain biking on forest roads is 100% different compared to a downhill trail (not that I do either of those regularly, I've only gone mountain biking twice!).

I'm also a firm believer that if more people have access, more people will work on protecting areas.

I just hope the mountain bike trails are clearly marked. I wouldn't want to start hiking up a steep downhill to only find myself ran over by a biker!
Follow me on Instagram: meg.john815

“Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” –Albert Einstein