Multnomah Falls - Confused How to Visit

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
MacAttack

Multnomah Falls - Confused How to Visit

Post by MacAttack » May 14th, 2018, 2:00 pm

I can't believe it's gotten so crowded that I no longer understand the logistics of going to Multnomah Falls. I used to just go there for a quick hike or stop there on my way from Portland to Hood River. Assuming the parking lot is full how do I go about visiting nowadays:

I see signs about a shuttle at Exit 25 (Rooster Rock I think). How much does that cost? How long does it take going back & forth?

If you want to take your chances & bypass Exit 25 & go all the way to the falls what do you do if the parking lot is full? Is there another exit further up to catch a different shuttle? Or do you have to turn around & go all the way back to Rooster Rock?

What if you are on your way to Hood River & just want a quick stop? Is the only option to stop at Rooster Rock, shuttle to the falls, shuttle back to Rooster Rock, continue to Hood River?

I'm not sure if I'll ever go there again except when I'm almost certain the parking lot will be open. I was just curious because I have some relatives coming to visit, & I imagine they'll want to stop there.

Aimless

Re: Multnomah Falls - Confused How to Visit

Post by Aimless » May 14th, 2018, 2:10 pm

The current closure of the old scenic highway, along with the small parking lot opposite the lodge, has displaced all the parking to the freeway-accessible lot. You can't yet go for a quick hike starting at the Falls, unless you mean the few steps up to the lowest viewing platform. All trails above the platform are still closed, not even up to the famous old bridge.

Some day the old highway and the trails will reopen. Until then, hiking is not in the cards and the freeway parking lot will be even fuller than in recent years.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » May 14th, 2018, 2:13 pm

I meant just a quick visit. Putz around the lodge & stare at the water. Continue on my way to some trails that are open.

Guy

Post by Guy » May 14th, 2018, 2:18 pm

I'd bet money that any day of the week day before 12:00pm & weekend day before 10:00am there is plenty of space in the lot and no need to Shuttle.

If you were heading east to reach the lot and the gates to the parking lot were closed. Then theoretically a person could drive a couple of miles up the road to the Ainsworth exit, then head back to the Westbound entrance which does not have a gate. Not that I've ever done that ;)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors