Homeless camps in Forest Park

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Don Nelsen

Re: Homeless camps in Forest Park

Post by Don Nelsen » January 23rd, 2018, 5:53 pm

xrp wrote:What a load of bullshit.
To avoid going further in this direction, I'd like to request that this thread be limited to opinions about homeless camps in Forest Park or other popular hiking areas, as opposed to opinions about the homeless issue in general.
Yep.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

sheilakpdx

Post by sheilakpdx » January 23rd, 2018, 7:23 pm

Thank you arlohike for re-directing the conversation and walrus for the Ranger article link.

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » January 23rd, 2018, 8:11 pm

Yes, no need to feed the trolls. Best to ignore them.

arlohike

Post by arlohike » January 26th, 2018, 5:27 pm

Don Nelsen wrote: Shortly after the start of the Newton Road trail there is a junction that heads up the power line road. About 1/10 mile up that road you should see a trail on the left. The camp is about 200 feet off the road. I'd be very careful about checking it out further though.
I was over there today and I think I know the junction you're talking about, but I went the other way (north, toward the power lines) along a wide and obvious path for about 50 yards. But then there was a bushy tree blocking the path and I didn't feel inclined to go further. There was a lot of litter along the path, but it didn't seem like fresh litter.

I've poked around the small clearing on the other side and found a cool old piece of machinery buried in the grass, but hadn't noticed a path leading further away from the road in that direction (south, toward Newton Road).

While climbing up Newton Road, not long after crossing the creek, I did look across the ravine and saw a pretty complex and seemingly in-use shelter structure perched precariously up on the hillside, about 100 feet above the trail. Wow! Maybe that's in the neighborhood of the camp you saw. You'd have to approach it from the backside; the ravine is way too steep there to climb directly up.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

NacMacFeegle

Post by NacMacFeegle » January 29th, 2018, 4:12 pm

I'd say the biggest problem with homeless camps in hiking areas is large amount of litter and waste that is entering the environment in what are supposed to be protected natural areas. Of course, there is the safety issue as well, and even if most homeless people are totally harmless, finding one of their camps when out in the woods is really unsettling. I don't think designating places for them to camp is the answer, as all that would do is create sprawling, permanent shanty towns.