Visiting Oregon in February

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
neillmackay

Visiting Oregon in February

Post by neillmackay » December 26th, 2017, 7:43 am

Hi all,

I'll be visiting Oregon in February for work and I have some time afterwards to do some exploring. Since it's clearly a good area for it I'd really like to do some hiking, but I'm not sure what my expectations should be given the time of year. I'm an experienced hiker and am compentent in winter conditions, but there are certainly limits to what I would attempt as I will most likely be hiking solo. What would people suggest are some good routes to do? I'd really like to climb something (I'm more interested in mountains than lowland walks), but obviously within the limits of what would be safe. I'd be happy to walk in snow but would draw the line at anything that might be crampon territory, and I'm guessing I may also be limited by what may be accessibile.

Any advice from you guys that know the area would be much appreciated!

Neill

adamschneider

Re: Visiting Oregon in February

Post by adamschneider » December 26th, 2017, 8:52 am

If you want to climb something in February, then it's going to have to be something relatively low elevation where you start from near sea level. I'd look at hikes at or near the coast if you want to avoid wintriness.

Saddle Mountain might be a good choice; it DOES sometimes get snowy/icy, though, so you'd have to check the latest conditions once you get here.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 26th, 2017, 9:06 am

yeah, or King's Mountain/Elk Mountain

maybe the Washington side of the Columbia gorge. Or the west hills of Portland like Lower MacLeay to Pittock Mansion

anything would be contingent on the weather

jessbee

Post by jessbee » December 26th, 2017, 10:51 am

neillmackay wrote:Hi all,

I'll be visiting Oregon in February for work and I have some time afterwards to do some exploring. Since it's clearly a good area for it I'd really like to do some hiking, but I'm not sure what my expectations should be given the time of year. I'm an experienced hiker and am compentent in winter conditions, but there are certainly limits to what I would attempt as I will most likely be hiking solo. What would people suggest are some good routes to do? I'd really like to climb something (I'm more interested in mountains than lowland walks), but obviously within the limits of what would be safe. I'd be happy to walk in snow but would draw the line at anything that might be crampon territory, and I'm guessing I may also be limited by what may be accessibile.

Any advice from you guys that know the area would be much appreciated!

Neill
Hi Neill, where will you be in Oregon?
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

neillmackay

Post by neillmackay » December 26th, 2017, 2:59 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

jessbee - I'm in Portland for a conference. After it finishes my plan is to rent a car and head north as far as Vancouver, stopping off at some places along the way to do some sightseeing and some hiking. I'll have 8 full days before I have to be back in Portland for my flight home.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 26th, 2017, 3:17 pm

Vancouver WA is not very far North, a suburb of Portland (I will now get beat up by Vancouverites for calling them a Portland suburb :) )

or you mean Vancouver BC

where are you staying at nights

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » December 26th, 2017, 3:55 pm

I'm sure he meant the "real" Vancouver. In which case driving up the coast along the Olympic Peninsula might be a good call for low-elevation hiking.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » December 26th, 2017, 4:11 pm

If you've got a car & 8 days, let me put in a vote for Southern Oregon. It may be a little warmer/drier down here than up toward Canada (BUT no promises - this is Oregon in winter after all) and there are several low-altitude trails that you might find interesting: Pilot Rock, Boccard Point, Lone Pilot Loop, an out-and-back on the Rogue River Trail (Grave Creek to Whisky Creek Cabin is a classic), the Sterling Mine Ditch Trail. If you want to climb something, you might be able to do Grizzly Peak or Wagner Butte with just boots, depending on how much snow we get and when. But both are straightforward with snowshoes (which you can rent at REI here). If conditions are IDEAL, you might be able to do Mount McLoughlin with just snowshoes - but the last 400' is usually tricky in winter. Even if you just got up to the ridge at 8,600', the view is amazing. And if you came down here, you could drive back to Portland on Hwy 101 along the coast - some great views & short hikes there, even in winter.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 26th, 2017, 4:36 pm

adamschneider wrote:I'm sure he meant the "real" Vancouver. In which case driving up the coast along the Olympic Peninsula might be a good call for low-elevation hiking.
I usually think of the "Real Vancouver" as the one just north of Portland: It was founded far earlier than the one in Canada. Established in 1825 and incorporated in 1857, Vancouver, WA has nicer summers, far better traffic, much lower taxes and much less crowding. (Of course, What you get for your taxes in arguable and not for this venue) I could be prejudiced, since I've lived in Vancouver, WA for the past 28 years.

On another note, I love the "other" Vancouver, too and have been up there dozens of times over the years for both business and hiking. If neillmackay does just one hike in Vancouver, Canada, I'd suggest the "Grouse Grind". Google it. There are many others of course, but that one is classic.

On the way to Canada, the Lummi Island hike is nice. Take a one mile ferry ride from Bellingham and hike the 8 mile round trip to the summit of this wonderful coastal forested island. Great views of the San Juans along the way.

just my 2 cents.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » December 26th, 2017, 7:52 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:I usually think of the "Real Vancouver" as the one just north of Portland
That sound you hear on the far northern horizon is 2.5 million Canadians laughing. :lol: