Winter comes to Mt. St. Helens

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
NacMacFeegle

Winter comes to Mt. St. Helens

Post by NacMacFeegle » November 14th, 2017, 6:02 pm

Of all the days I've spent at Mt. St. Helens, the beginning of last week had perhaps the most striking photography conditions I've seen so far there. Winter hit hard, and that first heavy snow fall really brought out the best in the landscape.

https://youtu.be/neNvEUydFNU

Here's a link to the first of two planned photo galleries - I could only narrow the selection down to 19, and I only like to put a maximum of 10 in a gallery, so the first set is grouped loosely as valley, lake, and wildlife photos: http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogsp ... elens.html

bushwhacker

Re: Winter comes to Mt. St. Helens

Post by bushwhacker » November 14th, 2017, 6:41 pm

Really well done. Wish I had the patience to do video editing like you do. Must have been a few hours of video you had to edit through to get that five minutes. Lots of elk. Wonder where all the hunters were.

NacMacFeegle

Post by NacMacFeegle » November 14th, 2017, 7:05 pm

bushwhacker wrote:Really well done. Wish I had the patience to do video editing like you do. Must have been a few hours of video you had to edit through to get that five minutes. Lots of elk. Wonder where all the hunters were.
Thanks! It does take quite a bit of time to put these together, though I'm slowly getting faster!

Thankfully the Johnston Ridge, South Coldwater Valley, Coldwater Lake, Spirit Lake basin, and everything between the Loowit trail and the North side of the mountain is closed to hunting. I was actually a little hesitant to show the photos and video of the elk because of the problems with poachers that the Monument has experienced in recent years.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 16th, 2017, 2:12 pm

I'd love to see that for myself. Is the road to JRO still open?

NacMacFeegle

Post by NacMacFeegle » November 17th, 2017, 8:39 am

Webfoot wrote:I'd love to see that for myself. Is the road to JRO still open?
Unfortunately it is closed for the season, though you could always hike/snowshoe up!

NacMacFeegle

Post by NacMacFeegle » November 19th, 2017, 11:04 am

Here's a second photo gallery, this one focused on the alpine regions of the monument: http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogsp ... inter.html

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 20th, 2017, 11:32 am

Thank you for the beautiful photos, even if I'm too late to be there in person. (I am not capable of the snowshoe in from Coldwater.)