Fred Beckey passes away

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Don Nelsen

Fred Beckey passes away

Post by Don Nelsen » October 31st, 2017, 7:57 pm

I just heard about the passing of Fred Beckey. I drove all the way to Bellingham last weekend to see the new movie about his life. This movie will show in Portland next weekend and it is well worth seeing and will be sold out for sure.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2256561/c ... eckey-dies

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

neilsonw

Re: Fred Beckey passes away

Post by neilsonw » October 31st, 2017, 10:00 pm

Just checked, already sold out for Portland. I've never been to a film festival before but that trailer hooked me. That's a great story to tell.

Rest in peace.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » November 1st, 2017, 7:56 am

I'm not a climber, but even I know some about the amazing accomplishments of Fred Beckey. RIP.

Charley

Post by Charley » November 1st, 2017, 11:38 am

Wow. A real life legend. I especially respect his ripe old age. I've heard that "There are old climbers, and there are bold climbers, but there are no bold old climbers." He might just be an exception. I hope I'm still kicking at that age.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

drm

Post by drm » November 1st, 2017, 2:57 pm

Royal Robbins passed earlier this year, and now Beckey - a year for losing legends and innovators.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » November 2nd, 2017, 9:22 pm

I'm old enough to have started my alpine explorations before there were many resources offering route info. Beckey's Cascade Alpine Guide (three volume set) was published in '73, when I was in elementary school and not even aware of mountains yet. When I was old enough to need it, it was waiting for me, first at the library, and then my own copy when I was using it enough to justify the investment ($148 in 2017 dollars).

What a life! So inspiring. But on a more local level, there's a man who now ascends the throne. I'm not into hero worship, so I won't blow this out of proportion, but there's a member here who I respect almost as much as Beckey. Because he's more accessible and approachable, and perhaps because he's more likely to have gone places where I'll actually follow in his footsteps, I'll miss him more than Beckey when he's gone.

Iams

Post by Iams » November 6th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Chip Down wrote:I'm old enough to have started my alpine explorations before there were many resources offering route info.
Ditto. Sad news.

Rather B Hiking

Post by Rather B Hiking » November 8th, 2017, 2:44 pm

A long life and well lived. My copies of Cascade Alpine Guide date to 1979, and they were invaluable in the days before online resources. He could write too - Range of Glaciers: The Exploration and Survey of the Northern Cascade Range is a classic.