Conditions at Ramona Falls

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

Re: Conditions at Ramona Falls

Post by Chip Down » October 25th, 2017, 8:12 pm

retired jerry wrote:isn't the forested draw Rushing Water Creek and the PCT? You were very close.
I think it might be the next one up there, a bit upstream. Not sure. But either way, yes, I was very close.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » October 27th, 2017, 5:31 pm

Cross at the spot in the last 4 pictures of this album from today.
It's about 100 yards or so (roughly) past the recently wiped out spot. We saw one person cross there today and said , 'screw that' (in slightly stronger language... :lol: ).
The path continues and it's basically the next easyish entry into the canyon. There is a pair of logs much lower and sturdier and you can scoot across on one using your hands to help balance you on the other. Look for the orange flag (you can actually see it before you start down though that was more luck than planning). Exit the canyon there. It also is the easiest spot around. Go back out to the open area and head back (left)where you would have crossed in the past. A path and a couple more orange flags will lead you. From there, you're right back on the trail.
Piece of cake! It really couldn't be much easier, especially considering the other options. They all suck..lol..
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/101 ... 91KflI2dkt

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 28th, 2017, 5:58 am

Thanks, that sounds a lot easier than other crossings there

One log low for feet, another log higher to hold onto is always the easiest

That's sort of what it was like in September, except the upper log angled away so it was hard to reach as you walked along

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » October 28th, 2017, 8:17 am

Some boring rainy day I'll go thru the old pictures but I could swear at some point years ago that was the spot we used to cross at. At least one of them..
If not, that almost exact setting is at some other crossing on a Mt Hood trail with the parallel logs and big solid rocks in between at either end. And there's only really a few.