Dark (Evening) City Hikes?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Guy

Dark (Evening) City Hikes?

Post by Guy » October 9th, 2017, 7:23 am

I'm looking to extend my midweek evening hikes into the dark season by hiking in the local towns and PDX. Places where I can take some interesting photos and walk with relative safety with a camera hung around my neck!

For example Oregon City. Can those of you who live in Portland or other places recommend interesting places we can walk 4 to 6 miles on a dark evening.

Cheers.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Re: Dark (Evening) City Hikes?

Post by retired jerry » October 9th, 2017, 7:30 am

Terwilleger Blvd below OHSU. And up to the upper tram landing area where you get good views of the city and Mt Hood. Or around OHSU.

Charley

Post by Charley » October 9th, 2017, 11:44 am

I've done many dark hikes in Forest Park with a headlamp, as well as the Marquam Trail from Sam Jackson up to Council Crest. It's great to be up there in the quiet!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 9th, 2017, 11:53 am

Lower MacLeay to Pittock Mansion

Dorkvania

Post by Dorkvania » October 9th, 2017, 11:39 pm

If it's not too dark or rainy, maybe Alameda Ridge with it's 8 staircases? The houses are mostly bland, but the stairs themselves are cool to shoot. I've done this hike a few times.

walrus

Post by walrus » October 11th, 2017, 7:22 pm

On Portland's west side, the SW Trails (https://swtrails.org/) have many possibilities (and similar routes exist in NW).

On the east side, Tabor and Oaks Bottom have good vistas, Laurelhurst is quite scenic, although both have human nightlife elements I prefer to avoid (as does the Springwater Corridor). The Reed/Westmorland area is quite nice, as is the University of Portland area and back along the bluff towards Overlook Park. There are great loop possibilities with the waterfront trails and bridges, which tend to stay busy enough through the evening commute that you and your camera should be fine.

The city has great walk/bike maps (https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/39402) if you want to put together your own adventure. As an avid pedestrian, my general rule of thumb is to follow bike routes/greenways as they tend to have lighter 4-wheel traffic, better lighting and protected crossings. Good leaves/mushrooms/holiday decor right now, don't know if that is what you're thinking of for photographs.

One thing I've never done, but think would be interesting, is to walk over the Columbia.