confused Mountain Goat on Dog Mountain!

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

Re: confused Mountain Goat on Dog Mountain!

Post by Chip Down » February 18th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Hey cja, thanks for sharing your experience.

I too think the east ridge is a great route, especially if you stay as far south as possible for the best views and exposure. However, I think ultimately Dog Spine offers some great terrain that's unmatched on the east ridge. Fortunately, one can easy do both in a day, with a short connector down low.

cja

Post by cja » November 1st, 2020, 8:12 am

Well the goat is still there, and has successfully multiplied! Four goats were seen on the eastern side of the dog spine on Halloween 2020, viewed from high on the East ridge of Dog mountain.
Attachments
PXL_20201031_211501004.MP.jpg
Dog Spine taken from East ridge of dog mountain

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 2nd, 2020, 6:32 pm

cja wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 8:12 am
Well the goat is still there, and has successfully multiplied! Four goats were seen on the eastern side of the dog spine on Halloween 2020, viewed from high on the East ridge of Dog mountain.
That's awesome! You should post that on iNaturalist to bump the Washington range just a little further southeast.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » November 8th, 2020, 2:14 pm

I am no fan of Dog Mountain, but that would make me want to go back.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

scottishgyro

Post by scottishgyro » November 22nd, 2020, 2:08 pm

Just up there yesterday Nov. 21, 2020. Coming down via the Ausgsberger Mountain route and solo hiker in front of us was shooting something with his phone. Told us to be quiet and that there was a mountain goat. I live in Walla Walla and grew up in PDX and hiked the gorge for 40 years. I have seen goats in the high country of the Wallowas, but do not associate them with the Dog Mountain area, but sure enough. I added it to inaturalist and it has not been identified there previously, but obviously this is not the first time. Not a great shot and cropped. It was quite aways downslope and this was my punishment for forgetting my camera with zoom, but you get the idea.
PXL_20201121_215330570crop.jpg

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 22nd, 2020, 3:01 pm

scottishgyro wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 2:08 pm
Just up there yesterday Nov. 21, 2020. Coming down via the Ausgsberger Mountain route and solo hiker in front of us was shooting something with his phone. Told us to be quiet and that there was a mountain goat.
Cool, that's the first time I've heard of one on the "normal" trail instead of over in the no-man's-land to the east where Chip Down hangs out.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » November 22nd, 2020, 6:22 pm

A picture of a mountain goat in a trailside forest on Dog Mountain. Now I've seen it all. :lol:
The only way I can beat that is if I get a pic of one at the parking lot.
Although, my* pics of a goat with Columbia River in background is about as cool as it gets. :D

* and CJA above

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 22nd, 2020, 9:52 pm

Chip Down wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 6:22 pm
The only way I can beat that is if I get a pic of one at the parking lot.
How about swimming across the river to Oregon?

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » November 23rd, 2020, 1:15 pm

Very cool. Glad to hear they are expanding their range.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

cfm

Post by cfm » December 14th, 2020, 3:56 pm

Well I dont have a picture to prove it, but I saw a goat today on the cliffs above highway 14 between Stevenson and Carson-right above where they are doing the cliff demo work. It was laying down, right on the edge and calmly looking down at the traffic below and the views beyond. I was so astounded, I rolled down my window and told one of the workers-"Hey there's a goat up there!". He gave a big smile, and said, "Oh yeah, that's Glynn!"