Timelapse of wildfire smoke at Mt St Helens

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
NacMacFeegle

Timelapse of wildfire smoke at Mt St Helens

Post by NacMacFeegle » September 29th, 2017, 12:55 pm

I shot this timelapse over several weeks in late August/early September - the smoke was so thick some days at Mt St Helens that you couldn't see the mountain from Johnston Ridge! I also included footage of the dramatic storms that finally curtailed the growth of the many tragic fires in the Pacific Northwest.

https://youtu.be/e6Jzqx2IKiM
Read my hiking stories and more at: http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/

neilsonw

Re: Timelapse of wildfire smoke at Mt St Helens

Post by neilsonw » September 29th, 2017, 1:47 pm

Very very cool. I particularly liked the second to last shot, and the one at the end with the chipmunk doing work. haha

Water

Post by Water » September 29th, 2017, 3:15 pm

wonderful! thank you for the effort and for sharing it!

What had you at the mountain so much, and what did you do while you were getting your material? just hanging out enjoying it as well?

around 41 seconds there are 3 weird lights going up towards the crater, then at 42 and 45 seconds basically there are two avalanche/cornice failures/landslides (hard to tell but look white) on the left side of the crater! Wild! Must be pretty big to see them at that distance with a wide angle!

cheers
Feel Free to Feel Free

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 29th, 2017, 3:23 pm

nice!

in some of those the camera moved or zoomed. Did you do that taking the picture, or was that editing after the fact?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 30th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Great stuff!
It's always the clouds that get all the attention, so I chuckle at the river below (also H2O but in a different place/state) just plugging along doing its thing.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 30th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Thank you for all the effort that must have gone into this! Great job and nice music too.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 4th, 2017, 6:00 am

That was just amazing! I'm wondering whatever prompted/allowed you to spend so much great time up there, too? What a treat.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

NacMacFeegle

Post by NacMacFeegle » November 4th, 2017, 10:20 am

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the video! Sorry for the long silence, but the reason I was able to spend so much time up at the mountain also the reason I haven't spent much time on the internet. I actually started working in the Monument this year with the Forest Service, and the great thing about the job is that I can set up my camera in the theater so that while I'm cleaning JRO it's sitting there capturing timelapses!
Water wrote:
around 41 seconds there are 3 weird lights going up towards the crater, then at 42 and 45 seconds basically there are two avalanche/cornice failures/landslides (hard to tell but look white) on the left side of the crater! Wild! Must be pretty big to see them at that distance with a wide angle!

cheers
The lights you see moving up towards the crater have something to do with the way light passes through the windows in the theater at JRO. I tried to erase them when I was editing the video, but everything I tried was more distracting then the lights themselves.

I actually only saw the landslides when I was reviewing the footage - they happen so quickly that I only usually see the dusty aftermath.
retired jerry wrote:nice!

in some of those the camera moved or zoomed. Did you do that taking the picture, or was that editing after the fact?
The camera movement was all done on the computer - some day I'm going to invest in a motorized timelapse slider.
Read my hiking stories and more at: http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/