Which hike did you not get to do this month

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
BigBear

Which hike did you not get to do this month

Post by BigBear » September 28th, 2017, 8:41 am

Due to the number of fires spread out from Indian Heaven to the California border, there were a lot of trails that were closed in August and continued to be closed in September and into the months that follow.

Of all of the hikes you hoped to do this past couple of months, which one will graduate to the top of next year's list of must see?

For me, I had planned a few days off in mid-September to see Tumalo Mountain and Green Lakes in the Three Sisters Wilderness, and these two will be of interest to me in 2018.

VanMarmot

Re: Which hike did you not get to do this month

Post by VanMarmot » September 28th, 2017, 3:57 pm

All of the following in Southern Oregon / NorCal are likely closed in full or in part until Spring:

Rogue-Umpqua Divide Wilderness - 1 hike

Sky Lakes Wilderness - 3 hikes

Red Buttes Wilderness - 1 hike

Siskiyou Wilderness - 2 hikes

I haven't even started toting up the hikes we did in past years that have now been lost to one fire or another.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » September 28th, 2017, 9:25 pm

I had several highpoints on the Western side of the Three Sisters Wilderness on my summer to do list but that got shut down pretty early on. I'd also hoped to climb Middle Sister from Obsidian trail.

There's always next year!

BTW Tumalo Mtn was never shut down due to this year's fires. You can get up there just about any time of year. So... Come to Bend this winter and bring your snowshoes, it's an awesome winter hike!
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 29th, 2017, 6:33 am

I didn't have a specific trail or hike in mind, but had hoped to get down to the Three Sisters Wilderness for some hiking and backpacking. And I had hoped to do South Sister as well, which I've never done.

I'm REALLY glad I did the hike to Rebel Rock Lookout in July. During the hike I thought, "this area is overdue for a fire" and sure enough it burned. I haven't heard if the lookout burned or not. Haven't heard about Olallie Lookout either.

OutdoorOregonHiker

Post by OutdoorOregonHiker » September 29th, 2017, 6:39 am

I wanting to do a through hike on the PCT from the Cold Springs trailhead to Crater Lake. The Pelican Butte fire shut that down. I was hoping to explore more of the Gearhartt wilderness east of Klamath Falls some more, but there were some spot fires happening throughout August and into September that limited that. And I was wanting to head up to the Three Sisters to do some more hiking, but even if a fire wasn't burning the smoke was too bad to want to hike in that kind of weather. Looking forward to hitting the trail hard again next season!

WiredHiker

Post by WiredHiker » September 29th, 2017, 2:34 pm

I had overnight permit for Obsidian area Labor day weekend, but it was closed. Was looking forward to spending a couple days around Arrowhead lake again this year.

kelkev

Post by kelkev » September 30th, 2017, 8:25 am

I've only hiked a couple of times this entire summer. Had hoped to get up to Jeff Park in September, but wildfires prevented that. Spent a week at Waldo Lake a couple of weeks ago, and got some decent short day hikes in. My Mom passed away in June, and honestly, that took the wind out of my hiking sails, so to speak. My work schedule has been crazy to boot, so the combination has made for a lost season of hiking. Hoping I get the spark back next summer.

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

Chazz

Post by Chazz » October 2nd, 2017, 10:17 am

I lost out on my planned PCT section this year. Elk Lake to Rim Village around Labor Day. My hiking partner and I decided to delay a week due to the heat during that weekend and the early part of the week and we were excited with the area around Mt Bachelor got hit with rain. We drove down to the trailhead, expecting that it was closed going northbound but also found that the southbound direction was also shut down due to the PCT intersecting with the fire exclusion zone very briefly (<1mile)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 11th, 2017, 7:36 pm

Hood: From Cloudcap, across Eliot Glacier, up Snowdome (some call it Snow Dome), over towards Coe Glacier, descend Langille Glacier, cross the Mooney area to Langille Crags, descend west side of Eliot Creek.

This was probably my most-anticipated hike of the year. I was planning on September. But the road was closed, and then we got that freak snow in mid Sept, which mostly melted, but then round two and three. At this point it's pretty much impossible, because I really don't want to go postholing on glaciers, and I don't imagine there's any chance of things melting out this late in the year. :cry:

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 11th, 2017, 9:38 pm

I was thinking of heading up to Ingalls Lake, and maybe Ingalls Peak, in September. Nope. Fires.