Hiking in Southern Oregon

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
OutdoorOregonHiker

Hiking in Southern Oregon

Post by OutdoorOregonHiker » September 20th, 2017, 7:43 am

I live in Klamath Falls. I know that I am in the minority here, but I am wanting to get in contact with folks the hike in the southern Oregon area. Places such as Lake Harriette, Mt. McLoughlin, Sky Lakes wilderness, ETC. Excited to meet my fellow S.O. hikers!

Aimless

Re: Hiking in Southern Oregon

Post by Aimless » September 20th, 2017, 10:14 am

Our most active southern Oregon member is Van Marmot. He's in Medford. Check out the Trip Reports forum for a ton of informative reports he's made on a wide variety of trails down there. It seems like he posts a report almost every week!

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » September 21st, 2017, 3:23 pm

Aimless wrote:Our most active southern Oregon member is Van Marmot. He's in Medford. Check out the Trip Reports forum for a ton of informative reports he's made on a wide variety of trails down there. It seems like he posts a report almost every week!
I have quite a few Southern Oregon posts on the OregonHikers site but now I'm posting southern hikes mostly on my own site. Feel free to dredge through it for hiking ideas. Sadly, many of my big hiking plans for S.O. (and for NorCal) this year were done in by the wildfires, the smoke, and the unusually (?) hot summer. It didn't help that (understandably) the Forest Service closed both the Sky Lakes and Rogue-Umpqua Wilderness Areas - which may or may not open before being closed again by snow. That said, we just got back from hiking in Nevada where is was both sunny and smoke-free!
Last edited by VanMarmot on February 8th, 2019, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OutdoorOregonHiker

Post by OutdoorOregonHiker » September 23rd, 2017, 6:11 am

I saw your hike post from Nevada. That was some gorgeous country! As beautiful as our state is I want to be able to explore some of the other beautiful states in America. I have been pretty frustrated by the fires this year too. The Pelican Butte fire really put a damper on many of my plans as well. We even tried to go east to Gearhartt before some small fires started out there. It is great to meet you. I am excited to explore your website. Mine is outdoororegon.net if you have time to check it out.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » September 23rd, 2017, 6:31 am

OutdoorOregonHiker wrote:I saw your hike post from Nevada. That was some gorgeous country! As beautiful as our state is I want to be able to explore some of the other beautiful states in America. I have been pretty frustrated by the fires this year too. The Pelican Butte fire really put a damper on many of my plans as well. We even tried to go east to Gearhartt before some small fires started out there. It is great to meet you. I am excited to explore your website. Mine is outdoororegon.net if you have time to check it out.
Great, I'll check it out! I'm still hoping we can hike Gearhart before the snow. In the mean time, the Mount Shasta area is calling.