Missing cat at Nottingham/Sherwood Campground?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
SummerPerk

Re: Missing cat at Nottingham/Sherwood Campground?

Post by SummerPerk » September 27th, 2017, 8:53 am

I was in campsite 9 and he was down by the river while I was there. It's also been in campsite 8. I've been told he lives in the drainage area between 8 and 9. I couldn't find a culvert in the area-- it's more of a little gully. First time I spotted him was at campsite 11, which is why I camped at 9. He knows people=food so I would definitely camp at 8 or 9 now since he wasn't overly bothered by our presence, and set up the trap in the gully or down by the bushes just over the rocks but before reaching the river. He did not touch any food left out overnight--might have had a full belly and was curled up somewhere trying to stay warm. Spotted first time at 2pm and last weekend at twilight and again mid-day.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 27th, 2017, 9:18 am

thanks

My wife and I might do something at some point, although we have a full schedule for a month.

Maybe Chester will be hungry by then :)

SummerPerk

Post by SummerPerk » September 30th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Had a trap set for 3 hours today while I went on a hike. No luck. Didn't see him on the way in or out. Did see a coyote though, and coyotes do like kitties. :( I won't be able to get up there for another 2 weeks. More than willing to loan out my trap if someone else wants to have a go. Hard to say if he's still around--might have just been laying low due to the coyote and nearby, very loud target shooting going on.

pcg

Post by pcg » October 15th, 2017, 6:21 am

Any update on this?

SummerPerk

Post by SummerPerk » October 15th, 2017, 10:00 am

Lost Lake had a trap out last week and had no luck. Chester was spotted last Saturday. I had hoped to set a trap this weekend—honeymooning up at Cooper Spur. My significant other has not been supportive of this endeavor and was less than thrilled to see the trap in the backseat when we left. Agreed that if there were people there I would not set the trap on the premise that it may have gotten food from them so wouldn’t be hungry enough to take bait and “if it really wanted to be caught it would seek shelter from them.” There were campers at the site where I was planning to set the trap, so unfortunately it’s time for me to let this go. Hate the thought that it’s still up there and will likely freeze to death soon. Would rather it not been spotted and able to assume it met with a quick end via a coyote. It’s a survivor cat but is no match for winter up there, especially when it’s relatively easy food supply comes to an end. Certainly willing to give anyone my trap if they want to have a shot at it.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » October 17th, 2017, 12:42 pm

It's really cool that you've made such an effort to find this cat before winter really sets in for good. If trapping it seems unlikely to work would it be possible to leave an insulated shelter to protect it from the cold? I guess food is still a problem though. The humane society has some info here and I'm a member of a local animal welfare group that set up shelters like this for a colony of stays. Of course our cats are at sea level and winters here are pretty tame, but just a thought.

Again, it's great that you've made a real effort here and hopefully this story has a happy resolution. If not, you certainly tried.

Guy

Post by Guy » October 17th, 2017, 4:45 pm

I would't give up on this cat yet. That saying 9 lives is not without good reason. It might well just decide to head down the road towards civilization in search of food when things get worse. Sure would be nice if it could be trapped now though.

Many years ago we moved into an isolated cottage in North wales, The previous owners moved about 4 miles away with their cat. The cat didn't like the move and returned to it's old home multiple times this entailed crossing a river and during that winter we had 2 feet of snow on the ground!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

SummerPerk

Post by SummerPerk » October 17th, 2017, 6:43 pm

I had already given some thought to creating a shelter—thank you for the link. I wouldn’t be able to maintain it though, and think it’s probably just too high of an elevation to realistically work for very long into the winter. I hope he does find his way to some real shelter. Thanks everyone~

pcg

Post by pcg » October 23rd, 2017, 8:52 am

SummerPerk wrote:I had already given some thought to creating a shelter—thank you for the link. I wouldn’t be able to maintain it though, and think it’s probably just too high of an elevation to realistically work for very long into the winter. I hope he does find his way to some real shelter. Thanks everyone~
Remember that all sorts of little furry critters are active throughout the winter and survive in this location - bunnies, squirrels, bobcats, martens, mice, weasels,and gophers to name a few. Snow makes good insulation, generally keeping temps under the snow from falling much below freezing. A furry cat coat supplies the rest. A tree well will make a snug spot to hole up during storms and squirrels, mice, and gophers will provide ample food. It would be nice to get him back, but I suspect he has a fair chance of surviving the winter otherwise.

SummerPerk

Post by SummerPerk » November 16th, 2017, 9:53 pm

Good news! I just received a message from Lost Lake Resort that wiley Chester has been caught and returned to his owners! He was nabbed a few days ago with a piece of cooked chicken—no trap needed. Guess he had had enough of a taste of winter to decide it was not to his liking. Very happy to hear the news and wanted to share it. Thanks everyone for the support!