Timberline trail questions

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
hikin_mike1960

Timberline trail questions

Post by hikin_mike1960 » September 11th, 2017, 11:57 am

Hi, We are getting ready to hike the Timberline Trail and was wondering about trail conditions. I heard there was a lot of blow down on around Paradise? How is the trail after the Yacum Ridge Trail cutoff? Any other useful info would be great.

thanks hikin_mike1960
Take a walk with Mother Nature and find peace.
http://www.takeawalkwithmothernature.com

Chase

Re: Timberline trail questions

Post by Chase » September 11th, 2017, 12:16 pm

This looks like the trail is closed in places.

There's blowdown near Paradise Park and it is a pain for a short section near there. At least this was true two weeks ago. Maybe they did some maintenance since then.

Chase

Post by Chase » September 11th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Chase wrote:This looks like the trail is closed in places.
I take it back. Looks open when read more carefully than I read the first time.

Derwood

Post by Derwood » September 11th, 2017, 3:03 pm

hikin_mike1960 wrote:Hi, We are getting ready to hike the Timberline Trail and was wondering about trail conditions. I heard there was a lot of blow down on around Paradise? How is the trail after the Yacum Ridge Trail cutoff? Any other useful info would be great.

thanks hikin_mike1960
I hiked an out-and-back from Timberline Lodge to Ramona Falls on Labor Day. There was the large fall blocking the trail about 100 feet shy of the south junction to Paradise Loop. It's some 7 or 8 large trees taking a nap right where you want to walk. There is a boot trail that goes below it and it doesn't take to long to bypass. From the North side it looks like they had started to clear it, but then stopped. Pulled off to fight fires, was my guess. I would be surprised if they've returned to finish it just yet.

There was another fall about a half mile up the switch back past the same junction. That on is just two very large trees very awkwardly laying on top each other right down the the trail. It took some climbing to get over it but there's a convenient branch to boost you over. Didn't have to take my pack off for either, and I'm over 6'4" in boots.

There were other logs ones sprinkled here or there, but nothing really notable. ZigZag crossing still had its log bridge, and the Sandy had one big log to help people cross. 80% of the people got across dry while I was watching.

drm

Post by drm » September 12th, 2017, 6:21 am

They did partial maintenance to that section since you were there. They cut out one or two trees that were most in the way, so the worst of the detours is no longer necessary. There is still one detour to take, but it is much smaller than the other one.

I'm talking about this section: the one cut log you can see makes it reasonable to get over the ones still there.
trees.jpg
downfall

hikin_mike1960

Post by hikin_mike1960 » September 12th, 2017, 6:48 am

Thank you all for your help.
Take a walk with Mother Nature and find peace.
http://www.takeawalkwithmothernature.com

walkin62

Post by walkin62 » September 12th, 2017, 7:26 am

The other thing to keep in mind now is that Hood River Ranger District put out a new fire order and has shut down all access to the mountain on the north side. The roads and trailheads are all closed. The section of trail at the top of Cooper Spur is technically in the closed area, but they are allowing people to use the Timberline there, but the campgrounds are closed. You can still begin the trail on the Zigzag District.

kimmers71

Post by kimmers71 » September 14th, 2017, 11:45 am

@walkin62 - So the trail near the Cloud Cap and Tilly Jane Campgrounds is closed or just the campsites? Or are they still letting people through? I've been watching the Forestry site and others and it was difficult to tell if they closed any of the trail #600.
I leave with a group in two weeks to do the trail. A lot can change in two weeks with the fires and hoping for the best.

Found this site https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 558835.pdf and it appears the entire trail is open but it's dated the 11th.

walkin62

Post by walkin62 » September 17th, 2017, 6:51 am

It is just the road and the camps that are closed. The Timberline is open all the way around the mountain.
The thing I'd be watching now is the weather! The system coming in starting today is supposed to bring considerable rain and possible accumulation of snow above 6500 feet.

kimmers71

Post by kimmers71 » September 17th, 2017, 5:55 pm

walkin62 wrote:It is just the road and the camps that are closed. The Timberline is open all the way around the mountain.
The thing I'd be watching now is the weather! The system coming in starting today is supposed to bring considerable rain and possible accumulation of snow above 6500 feet.
Thanks for the heads up. We arrive on the 29th so hopefully the rain will have passed. We can deal with snow (coming from WI) but rain would be miserable.