Timberline trail questions

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
retired jerry

Re: Timberline trail questions

Post by retired jerry » September 18th, 2017, 10:41 am

I just got back

All stream crossings doable without getting feet wet.

There's 5 inches of rain the next couple days. The Sandy was really full several hours ago. Wait a couple days after it stops raining, like next Saturday, for stream levels to go back down. Occasionally someone dies from September rains.

Most of the time there was light or no smoke, but several times, for a couple hours, a plume of Eagle Creek fire smoke blew my direction and it was really bad. I think this rain will put down the fire so this shouldn't be a problem, Maybe still light smoke.

Late September or even October are good times to do the Timberline trail, or just a portion.

I saw Mountain Laurel Ash berries around Elk Cove and above Mt Hood Meadows. And bear poop. That's where to go to see bears. Maybe Top Spur across Cairn Basin and up to Barret Spur.

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » September 18th, 2017, 3:52 pm

retired jerry wrote:I just got back

All stream crossings doable without getting feet wet.

There's 5 inches of rain the next couple days. The Sandy was really full several hours ago. Wait a couple days after it stops raining, like next Saturday, for stream levels to go back down. Occasionally someone dies from September rains.

Most of the time there was light or no smoke, but several times, for a couple hours, a plume of Eagle Creek fire smoke blew my direction and it was really bad. I think this rain will put down the fire so this shouldn't be a problem, Maybe still light smoke.

Late September or even October are good times to do the Timberline trail, or just a portion.

I saw Mountain Laurel Ash berries around Elk Cove and above Mt Hood Meadows. And bear poop. That's where to go to see bears. Maybe Top Spur across Cairn Basin and up to Barret Spur.
I can now confirm that there really is a 'Retired Jerry' and he is not just some spammer based out of Estonia. We crossed paths during his Timberline trip. Nice to meet you RJ. Good to see you made it around with no issues. What triggered my interst in RJ was his 'Jerryware' pack. Not to many packs out there with no company logos. His is homemade and looks sturdy.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 18th, 2017, 5:14 pm

yeah, good to meet you

I also ran into someone else who is just a reader of this website, good to see people getting useful info here

Maybe it's a Jerry rigged pack? I also made my shirt, pants, rain jacket, synthetic vest, down vest, tent, sleeping bag,... I didn't make my boots, socks, hat (although I made a hat I sometimes wear).

kimmers71

Post by kimmers71 » September 19th, 2017, 5:37 am

Thank you for the update Retired Jerry! Any flies or mosquitoes?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 19th, 2017, 6:45 am

very few bugs

if there was a freeze up there it would kill any remaining stragglers

kimmers71

Post by kimmers71 » September 19th, 2017, 11:51 am

retired jerry wrote:very few bugs

if there was a freeze up there it would kill any remaining stragglers
Thank you!!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 22nd, 2017, 12:45 pm

https://www.skihood.com/cams/vista

View up from Mt Hood Meadows. Looks like a few inches of snow.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... cVvZch97IU

Nice weather next week. Highs in the 45 to 60 F range. That snow will melt off in a couple days.

Then will be a good time to do Timberline loop, or out and back like Timberline Lodge to Paradise Park or Top Spur to Barret Spur.