Labor Day Weekend conditions

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
drm

Labor Day Weekend conditions

Post by drm » August 29th, 2017, 9:13 am

Looks like we're going to have near-record heat and dense smoke for our Labor Day weekend. But it won't rain!

Does anybody know how dangerous it is to your health to hike in smoky conditions labeled as moderately unhealthful? I think the smoke is supposed to be much worse in southern Oregon. Since the worst fire, Chetco Bar, is in the coast range, I doubt going to the coast will save you. I think you have to go north for less smoke (but not no smoke).

Chazz

Re: Labor Day Weekend conditions

Post by Chazz » August 29th, 2017, 9:52 am

I'd love to see air particulate counts for different regions in Oregon, and compare those to some of the Chinese cities that are known for hazardous air quality. Portland is looking awful today and the light is very orange.

I know I'm going to be out there this weekend and the following week because I've been planning it all year. Air quality be damned... Though I would prefer clear skies.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 29th, 2017, 10:13 am

https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=air ... stateid=38

maybe Goat Rocks would be better?

or something in the Olympics

drm

Post by drm » August 29th, 2017, 12:04 pm

I just got back yesterday from the Olympics (trip report pending) and it was crystal clear every day. Who knows if it will stay that way. I think Goat Rocks would be a bit clearer, the farther north the better I think.

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » August 30th, 2017, 9:10 am

Chazz wrote:I'd love to see air particulate counts for different regions in Oregon, and compare those to some of the Chinese cities that are known for hazardous air quality. Portland is looking awful today and the light is very orange.
This is a pretty cool visualization site:

https://earth.nullschool.net/

Click on the Earth menu in the lower left and then Mode- Chem. It shows Carbon Monoxide, Carbon Dioxide, and Sulfur Dioxide relative concentrations.

xrp

Post by xrp » August 30th, 2017, 9:12 am

Chazz wrote:I'd love to see air particulate counts for different regions in Oregon, and compare those to some of the Chinese cities that are known for hazardous air quality. Portland is looking awful today and the light is very orange.

I know I'm going to be out there this weekend and the following week because I've been planning it all year. Air quality be damned... Though I would prefer clear skies.
Same situation here...I want to do the Timberline Trail. But, do I want to do it in 90F-100F temps on a 10-20-10 (miles per day) breakdown Fri-Sun? Those will be some very hot days.

I'm considering Jerry's Goat Rocks suggestion as it appears to be about 10-15 degrees cooler during the day.

I also think the long range NW forecast is to continue dry, warm weather. So I can postpone Timberline Trail to later in September.

drm

Post by drm » August 30th, 2017, 10:42 am

The heat won't chase me away, but I wouldn't do anything significant in red air quality conditions. The views might be bad, though not worse than staring at the TV all weekend, but those particulates can damage your lungs if bad enough. Not, it's not Beijing, but still . . . :(

Arturo

Post by Arturo » August 31st, 2017, 2:11 pm

I did Cooper Spur this past weekend and the smoke was supposed to be relatively benign but I felt every bit of it.
The heat gets you breathing deeper too. Still coughing a bit even 4 days later.
I think I'm gonna pass on the outdoors this weekend.
Watch a little college football Saturday and brew a beer Sunday.

drm

Post by drm » September 1st, 2017, 9:39 am

So far me and a friend are still planning on the Timberline over Labor Day. Hot can be dealt with and it seems the worst smoke is staying farther south in Oregon. I've never had anything but the most minor coughing from smoke and there isn't much time left for this backpacking season. The forecast keeps the AQI index well below 100, below 50 it seems, but only goes one day in the future.

xrp

Post by xrp » September 1st, 2017, 10:07 am

drm wrote:So far me and a friend are still planning on the Timberline over Labor Day. Hot can be dealt with and it seems the worst smoke is staying farther south in Oregon. I've never had anything but the most minor coughing from smoke and there isn't much time left for this backpacking season. The forecast keeps the AQI index well below 100, below 50 it seems, but only goes one day in the future.
My friend and I have decided to do the same. Likely clockwise from Top Spur to Top Spur.

See you out there!