Drinking Stream Water

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
drm

Re: Drinking Stream Water

Post by drm » August 29th, 2017, 9:05 am

JeffreyHoward wrote:Got it! I can drink unfiltered water, and it will not cause an extinction of humanity.

I might die though. :lol:
As long as you have kids before you die. :lol:

Greendrake

Post by Greendrake » August 29th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Typically Giardia doesn't kick in for 3 weeks
after it enters your system.
A friend of mine got it in Oregon few years back,
she didn't drink from a stream but did swim and she accidentally gulped some water.
2 friends have gotten it in Idaho from drinking from a stream.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 1st, 2017, 12:03 pm

buck3m wrote:Lewis and Clark's men were often sick and epidemiologists think much of their troubles were due to bad water.
Have a citation for that? I've read the Journals a few times, and sure didn't pick up on the notion they were "often sick," other than when they overate roots and dried salmon in the fall of 1805. For the most part, they were in fact exceptionally healthy. Always interested in learning more about that journey.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

drm

Post by drm » September 1st, 2017, 3:16 pm

I've heard that they are believed to have gotten malaria from the mosquitoes. Quinine was used in those days.

JeffreyHoward

Post by JeffreyHoward » September 8th, 2017, 6:55 am

Of course, they were exceptionally healthy. Evolution process was killing unhealthy people.

buck3m

Post by buck3m » October 16th, 2017, 3:07 pm

kepPNW wrote:
buck3m wrote:Lewis and Clark's men were often sick and epidemiologists think much of their troubles were due to bad water.
Have a citation for that? I've read the Journals a few times, and sure didn't pick up on the notion they were "often sick," other than when they overate roots and dried salmon in the fall of 1805. For the most part, they were in fact exceptionally healthy. Always interested in learning more about that journey.
William Clark complained in one journal entry, “I am verry Sick all night … pane in Stomach & the bowels.” On the same day Meriwether Lewis recorded, “for my own part I suffered a sever Indisposition for 10 or 12 days, sick feeble & emiciated. ”Such journal entries were exceedingly common.
http://exhibits.hsl.virginia.edu/lewisclark/journey/

A Google book search of “Or Perish in the Attempt: Wilderness Medicine in the Lewis & Clark Expedition” discusses probable sources of these illnessess, including giardiasis.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 3rd, 2017, 7:20 am

buck3m wrote:
kepPNW wrote:
William Clark complained in one journal entry, “I am verry Sick all night … pane in Stomach & the bowels.” On the same day Meriwether Lewis recorded, “for my own part I suffered a sever Indisposition for 10 or 12 days, sick feeble & emiciated. ”Such journal entries were exceedingly common.
http://exhibits.hsl.virginia.edu/lewisclark/journey/
Really a shame they don't offer a proper cite, much less a date, for those entries. The Clark quote is quite similar to what he wrote on October 6, 1805. If so, it's rather shameful that they truncate the full sentence, and eliminate its context:
William Clark wrote:I am verry Sick all night, Pane in Stomach & the bowels oweing to my diet
and:
William Clark wrote:I am taken verry unwell with a paine in the bowels & Stomach, which is certainly the effects of my diet—which last all night—.
Lewis wrote nothing that day, but later reminisced about it, and attributed (scroll backwards) the malady to dried salmon. As does every other account for that period of time on the journey. (Not to mention, this is precisely the incident I mentioned in the quote you attribute to me.)
buck3m wrote:A Google book search of “Or Perish in the Attempt: Wilderness Medicine in the Lewis & Clark Expedition” discusses probable sources of these illnessess, including giardiasis.
Sounds like a fun read! :)
Karl

buck3m

Post by buck3m » November 3rd, 2017, 8:07 am

They were sick quite often. There were times when it was likely salmon, times it was roots, and times where they didn't know why they were sick. Since there were pathogens in the water then and now, it is a near certainty that sometimes their ailments were due to bad water.

https://lewisandclarkjournals.unl.edu/s ... =%E2%9C%93

https://lewisandclarkjournals.unl.edu/s ... =disentary

https://lewisandclarkjournals.unl.edu/s ... =dysentery

https://lewisandclarkjournals.unl.edu/s ... qtext=sick

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 3rd, 2017, 9:13 am

buck3m wrote:Since there were pathogens in the water then and now, it is a near certainty that sometimes their ailments were due to bad water.
Yeah, well, not gonna argue unsubstantiated assumptions. Thanks!
Karl

buck3m

Post by buck3m » November 3rd, 2017, 9:50 am

Lewis complained frequently throughout the journey of gastrointestinal problems ascribed by the men themselves as due to tainted water and changes in diet. From The Indianization of Lewis and Clark