Jefferson is on fire...

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
teperilloux

Jefferson is on fire...

Post by teperilloux » July 24th, 2017, 2:08 pm

My friend just took this pic from 26 heading back to pdx. Looks to be west of Jefferson Park Ridge. This should ruin a lot of eclipse plans for sure. Looks like it's not in the park at the moment.
Attachments
received_10155617041929669.jpeg
Last edited by teperilloux on July 24th, 2017, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teperilloux

Re: Jefferson is on fire...

Post by teperilloux » July 24th, 2017, 2:12 pm

Just before going out of range she said there are 2 stacks now and getting bigger rapidly. Dang it!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 24th, 2017, 4:55 pm

Couple of media reports:
And an aerial photo, courtesy of the PortlandHikers Facebook page:
    Credit: Melissa Schwartz
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 24th, 2017, 8:18 pm

It's likely up on the ridge above Wild Cheat Meadow, somewhere between Triangulation Peak and Jefferson Park. Given the trails WNF closed, I'd say it's somewhere in the rugged terrain near Wild Cheat. This is unfortunate, as this is some of the most scenic terrain in the entire Mount Jefferson Wilderness, and some of the least-known. Most hikers go to Triangulation or Jeff Park without bothering to check out the terrain in between.

It's somewhere on this ridge:

This is Wild Cheat Meadow:

The trail along the ridge above Wild Cheat Meadow:

Hopefully this gets contained before any of these beautiful places see too much damage.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 25th, 2017, 6:00 am

Wondering what caused this. There haven't been any thunderstorms in the area, have there?

teperilloux

Post by teperilloux » July 25th, 2017, 9:18 am

There's been a red flag warning for much of the central cascades for at least the last few days. With no rain and continued winds in the forecast, I hope they get a handle on this quickly.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » July 26th, 2017, 4:01 pm

justpeachy wrote:Wondering what caused this. There haven't been any thunderstorms in the area, have there?
I just saw an article that said it was from a month-old lightning strike (no idea how they can figure that out). We just had some crazy lightning in Bend today, but not much rain so hopefully no new blazes get started up :/
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » July 27th, 2017, 3:21 pm

jessbee wrote: I just saw an article that said it was from a month-old lightning strike (no idea how they can figure that out). We just had some crazy lightning in Bend today, but not much rain so hopefully no new blazes get started up :/
I don't think they should be fighting this if it's lightning caused, especially in a wilderness area. Healthy forests need fires, even ones we all enjoy hiking.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » July 31st, 2017, 11:46 am

If this isn't already going somewhere else too.... ALL access to the park is closed as well as the PCT thru there.
http://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon- ... rson-park/

Chazz

Post by Chazz » July 31st, 2017, 12:45 pm

That's going to suck for PCT thru-hikers. It's getting to be prime season now for the bulk of them going through Oregon, though the snow in the High Sierra's may have delayed the main bubble by a couple weeks.